• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget lift vibration/perfect wheel/tire combo?

Michman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, in my continuing saga to make my wife’s new daily driver 97XJ (4liter, 4WD, Auto)look nice a couple weeks ago I had a Rocky Road Outfitters 2 inch budget lift installed by our mechanic Ralph.
The XJ looked decent and sat level but the rear leaf springs were totally leveled out. I figured it would only be a matter of time before they started sagging so we decided to install new leaf springs. Ralph installed them this week and they raised the rear about two inches higher than the old springs. Which means it sits about 4 inches higher than it originally did. The XJ now has a slight rake to it, not bad, but it’s is noticeable. I’m going to assume some rear settling will occur.
We did get vibration after the initial lift and it kicks in at 30 and decreases around 40 mph. I told Ralph I also plan on buying a ½ transfer case spacer and hoped that would fix the vibration, but he said that wouldn’t do anything for the driveshafts angles? He tried to explain to me but I didn’t follow him, but still think the spacer would help, I figure it can’t hurt.
We’re also shopping for new tires and wheels before snow arrives here. Originally I was going to go with 15X7, 225 30 inch tires. But now that it sits so much higher I’m wondering if 15X8 with 235/31 inch tires would look better. We want the wheel wheels to be completely filled up, but she doesn’t want the tires to sit much past the stock flares. Any suggestion for wheel/tire combo would be much appreciated. I already told her Merry Christmas, this is getting expensive. I’ll try and get pics after we get them installed. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
With any tire in the 30x9.5 31x10.5 size. A 15x7 rim is all you need. Alot of guys run them that way. I have stock Wrangler rims (ECCO's) on 33x10.5r15's. You don't need a 15x8 on 30's or 31's. The stock back spacing is fine or go with I believe 4.25" backspacing. Which is what my 15x7 AR767 Black rims were. Only ran them on my Swampers. At the amount of lift 31's will work fine. I would drive if first and see if there are any vibes in the rear, if there are go with the .5" drop spacers for the t-case. Juice

I just had 235-75-15's put on yesterday, stock Sport rims with no lift so I would assume you can go bigger than that, I went out yesterday and hammered on em and could never get them to rub anywhere, at least with the swaybars hooked up, didnt try with them disconnected.

I bought Kumho Venture MT's and they look great, 342$ shipped to my door, the tire stores wanted over 100$ each...

Did it vibrate before the leaf springs were installed with the rear shackles?

I would go with a 30x9.50 on 15x7 rims.

ANother possibility would be a P265/70R15 on 15x7 rims.

I fyou want Swampers there are 29x10.50, 30x10.50 and 31x9.50 options.

Also, I have run 30x9.50's on 15x6 rims with no problems. I have even had 31x10.50's on 15x6 rims (they jsut bulge out a little more) and 32x11.50's on 15x7 as well.......

:arrowr: :anon: :arrowl:

picture.JPG

this pic kind of shows the sidewall with 15x7 rims, 33x10.5 At's. Juice

Juice, are those 33's? They look like 31's. If they are 33's, looks like you didn't even have to cut up front. Is that right? You have 5.5 stock backspacing, right? Is the turning radius really bad now?

Curt

Ya they're 33x10.5r15 BFG AT/KO's. They are fit in there fine when they flex. I'm going to cut the lower part of the front fender for my custom bumper. The turning radius is really good. I did lose some of the wheel lock to wheel lock when I got rid of the black Rock Crawler Rims I had, but nothing that is going to make a difference in driving. Hope that helps. Juice

juicexj24 said:
Ya they're 33x10.5r15 BFG AT/KO's. They are fit in there fine when they flex. I'm going to cut the lower part of the front fender for my custom bumper. The turning radius is really good. I did lose some of the wheel lock to wheel lock when I got rid of the black Rock Crawler Rims I had, but nothing that is going to make a difference in driving. Hope that helps. Juice

Sorry, I don't know what wheel lock to wheel lock means? You are the only guy that has a Jeep with 33's and didn't trim. You must be up there. I am going with the RE 5.5 lift and hope to fit the same tire you have. Not sure if the 1/2" will make or break me and I am trying to figure out if I can pull it off.

Thanks for your help,
Curt

are you saying I don't have 33" or saying that my lift is high. I do have over 6.5" of lift. Rubicon Coil Springs. with 1 3/4" Spacer. Extreme Duty RE Leaf springs with ORGS Shackle, netted over 6.5" in the front and rear. I would go with the 5.5" RE lift and you should be fine with the 33" on there. or use a Old Man EMU 3/8" trim spacer to get the front up a little. You could always trim the front lower half of the fender. I'm going to do mine soon. Juice

Wheel lock to lock is when you have the steering wheel turned all the way left or right. I have recently done my lift which netted 2 3/4" after settling. I have put 31" trXus MTs on 15x8 TJ Canyon rims which have a stock backspacing of 5.25" I believe. The only thing that I will tell you is that you may have rubbing on the wheel well when you turn the wheel full left or right. However, it is commonly accepted that tires like the trXus and swampers have a larger overall diameter than say the BFG AT KO, so keep that in mind.

The reason for going to rims with less backspacing is to avoid this rubbing effect. You can also make an adjustment to limit how far the wheel will turn. Or like me you can just avoid turning the wheel too far. By limiting how far the wheel turns you are of course increasing your turning radius. By using rims with less backspacing you cause the tires to bulge out from the fenders more (which you said she does not want).

If your wife turns the wheel hard and gets this rubbing, you can count on having to make that adjustment. It's not a pleasant sound.

So, to sum up, with my Canyon rims and trXus 31"'ers, there is no noticeable bulge out of the wheel wells, I get rubbing on a full turn, and my 3" lift kit plus the 31" tires gave a total net lift of 4" over what I previously had. And if she doesn't want a loud car, get the AT KO's.

juicexj24 said:
are you saying I don't have 33" or saying that my lift is high. I do have over 6.5" of lift. Rubicon Coil Springs. with 1 3/4" Spacer. Extreme Duty RE Leaf springs with ORGS Shackle, netted over 6.5" in the front and rear. I would go with the 5.5" RE lift and you should be fine with the 33" on there. or use a Old Man EMU 3/8" trim spacer to get the front up a little. You could always trim the front lower half of the fender. I'm going to do mine soon. Juice

I am saying your Jeep looks high. Do you have a full picture of it? I am trying to fit 33's and not trim. It seems that you have accomplished it and are one of the only people that I have seen on here that didn't trim the front with 33's.

I am just happy that I may be able to fit the 33's with my RE 5.5" lift.

Thanks,
Curt

Back