• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front brake rattle

chad

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed the brake pads and turned the rotors on my 2000 xj about 2 months ago. about a week after I started getting a rattling sound that has been getting progressively louder. the jeep drives, handles and brakes just fine, but when I'm at a slow role ( a couple mph at idle) there is a rattling/clunking sound from the front and as soon as I touch the brake peddle it goes away. The repair manual that I have shows the front brakes having some anti rattle clips, but there were none on there when I changed them and none came with the new pads. Does the 2000 year not use them, or could it be something else? I've taken them apart and reinstalled them three times and everything seems tight and correct!
Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Chad

Aha! One I can help with. Have the same problem on my 2000. A friend who has been a service writer at a Jeep dealership tells me it is caused by aftermarket pads that are not quite dimensionally correct. Causes a grab/release effect that makes a lot of noise and vibes. He's seen 'em so bad that the axles was hopping when it happened. I'm getting soem OEM pads Friday that should do the trick. I'll let you know. The book does show some clips and my jeep does not have any on it now, the pads have some goofy tin things built in that are "supposed" to do the trick (so says the guy at Parts America). I'll be interested to see if the OEM ones have the seperate clips with them. Lubing the pads where they contact the caliper will quite the noise a bit but did not cure it for me.

Great! Thanks a ton. Do you know if there is any aftermarket brand pads that fit correctly as opposed to having to get them from the dealer? Thanks again, and let me know how it goes.
Chad

I just dealt with the same issue. I replaced my pads and rotors a few months ago. The old pads had clips built onto the back of the pads that firmly attached them to the caliper. The new pads didn't have them and I didn't have the anti-rattle clips either. I went ahead and installed them, but the brakes rattled and clunked constantly. I ordered some anti-rattle clips from Carparts.com, but I never got around to installing them. I was recently at Advance Auto Parts and asked to look at their pads. Their house-brand "Gold" series had the built-in clips and they work like a charm. No more rattling and clunking. I believe they were $26.

I just picked mine up from the shop with the new pads. I looked, and there are no rattle springs as shown in the Haynes book, etc. I told the guys to put 'em on if they came with the pads, so maybe the 2000 does not use them. Anybody know for sure?
No noises so far, but somedays it takes awhile to start doing it. I did get a lucky break as I was pulling in to the dealer this AM it started to make the noise! So I used the e-brake to slowy come to a noisy stop in the drive-in service area. The service writer who had been not too helpful before looked up as I entered, having heard the racket, to find me grinning and pointing to the offending wheel. He was a bit more ready to assist me this time :eek:
If it starts up again I'll post the news. I plan on torture testing it tonight on the way home.

I fixed it!! Went to a better parts store and looked at some different brands. RAYBESTOS!! These pads are great. they cost a bit more (65.00) but they come with a whole assortment of diffent thickness shimms to take the play out of the pads. all you need is feeler guages. Plus they don't squeek or make dust. And they stop much better than the cheepo ones I had on there. I highly recommend them.
Thanks again for the help,
Chad

Back