• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Sway bar diameter

It's probably 25mm aka 1 inch. Just go buy a cheap caliper and measure it. They are handy to have around.
Fred

You should have a set of pre-calibrated calipers in your toolbox, a.k.a. combination wrenches. Grab the 1" open end wrench and try pushing it onto the sway bar. If it slips on without much slop, the bar is a 25 mm (1" = 25.4 mm). If it won't fit over the bar, you have a 28 mm bar.

Eagle said:
You should have a set of pre-calibrated calipers in your toolbox, a.k.a. combination wrenches. Grab the 1" open end wrench and try pushing it onto the sway bar. If it slips on without much slop, the bar is a 25 mm (1" = 25.4 mm). If it won't fit over the bar, you have a 28 mm bar.
Pre-calibrated :D

wrap a piece of string around it, mark it, measure the string, divide number by 3.14

Sure you know this but try to measure as close as you can to the bushings to determine the diameter. The bar is swaged down at the ends to make the loop for the end link to attach so if you measure that section you will not get the right size for the main part of the bar.

When you change busings are you going to remove the bar or just change the bushings with the end links still attached? Either way use some sand paper, a wire brush or one of those scotch brite pads and clean the mung off the sway bar before you intall the new bushings.

I am sure your new bushings with come with a slit. The big question is which direction you face the slit. I installed my slits facing forward and have had not problems these past 3 years.

If you are changing the bushings are you also going to renew the end links?

Back