• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arms

Frog975

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here we go, i need some advice. First off I have a 98' XJ, with the 4.0. I have about 8" of lift using, 6.5 springs annd 1 3/4 spacer up front, and a 6.5 spring pack in the rear. I am running a transfer case drop, and a long yoke drive shaft. My question is this, since i'm limited on funds, and fabrication equipment, how can i get my front drive shaft back to the original location (which should be 101.4 "). I already have adj LCA's, but will adj uppers do it? And if so, what about the angle of the LCA's, is it too steep? I want to eventually get a long arm, but just can't afford it right now. Any idea's will greatly be appreciated. TIA.

I am not really sure I understand the question??

You are trying to shorten up the wheel base back to stock, or lenghthen it? And you want to know if you need to buy new control arms to do it?

We need to know what length control arms you have, what your wheel base is, etc. This will also affect your castor, is it good at the moment and what is it set at?

Also you have a 98xj with 8" of lift and you have a longer slip yoke and transfer case drop and stock driveline?? Lots of people are going to want to know more!!!! No vibes??

Michael

I would say park it in the garage until you have the money to do it right with long arms.
That thing is going to try to "drive over" the axle all the time with control arm angles like that.

What you need are some RE LCA drop brackets. If you wheel, get the HD kit. They'll push your arms back to where they 'should' be and keep your angles liveable. I ran this way for quite awhile at 8+" and 35s.

Ok, let see what else i can give you guy's. I am running RE's upper, and adj LCA's, the uppers are at 15", and the lowers are at 16". I want to get back to the stock wheel base of 101.4", and right now i'm about 1 1/2" short. I have a stock drive shaft with a 6 deg shim in the rear, and very very little vibes, which really surprises me. I agree about the front axle drive over, thats what i'm affraid of too. Its not bad on the streets, but when i hit a bump or take it offroad, then i'll have to be very careful. Has anyone heard about the release of RE's longarm kit yet???

Back