• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 XJ 4.0L/HO rattles and thumps. (Help?)

Jeepsqueak

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hoping for some tips from the experienced here. I've got a '93 4.0L HO XJ at about 126k - picked it up at about 123k. My first question: When the vehicle was purchased, it seemed in great condition. Oil ran (and still does) at 50-60psi when the engine's working, about 40 during idle. Engine sounded good (this I was told by someone with far more mechanical experience than myself), throttle response was good, and so on. After driving it around a few hundred miles, I noticed that occassionally a very audible "thunk" would report from, I think, the engine -- sounds almost like the light-to-medium tap of a hammer on the other side of the instrument panel, right around the middle. I'm not quite sure what this sound corresponds to. At first, I only heard the sound going downhill while accelerating (a freeway onramp). Now (quite a few miles later), it can be heard on about every other startup, and sometimes when the vehicle begins to ascend or descend a grade. I know this sounds bizarre, but there you have it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what this might be, or perhaps first hand experience with this weirdness?

The other thing -- I'm not sure if you'de call this a vibration or a rattle. Sometimes in idle I can hear a rattling type sound, again, from the engine I think -- though it sounds like something knocking right up against the dash. If I let my foot off the brake and allow the vehicle to move forward a couple of feet and then stop again, the sound will sometimes stop, sometimes not. Seems to be worsening. The same sound though more agitated sounding sometimes occurs when climbing hills -- usually while running at 2,100 to 3,000 RPM's. I've noticed the sound does not occur if the engine is working just as hard on, for instance, the freeway. This sound is a recent development -- specifically, it did not begin to occur until after a 2,000 mile trip.

As is probably clear from the message above, I am not exactly mechanically experienced, though I am inclined to learn how to work on my own vehicle if possible. I would appreciate whatever information anyone might have to offer, and if anyone has any specific questions about the vehicle's behaviour, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks in advance for your time, everybody.

Get used to the rattling in the dash it only gets worse; sorry for the bad news. I'd try hitting your catalytic converter with a rubber mallet or the palm of your hand, the comb inside often falls apart and makes quite a racket.

Get used to the noise under the dash??? My Chief has 172k on it and no noise.

Does the thumping sound happen when it shifts? Sometimes the tranny does some strange things if the computer gets confused. (not so smooth shifting). Mine goes away on its own or if I restart it to reset the computer.

"Does the thumping sound happen when it shifts?"

I don't *think* so, but I'll have to listen closely next time and see if I can find a correlation. Thanks for the tip. I'll post again just to let you know if this is the case.

Jeepsqueak said:
I've got a '93 4.0L HO XJ at about 126k - picked it up at about 123k. After driving it around a few hundred miles, I noticed that occassionally a very audible "thunk" would report from, I think, the engine -- sounds almost like the light-to-medium tap of a hammer on the other side of the instrument panel, right around the middle. At first, I only heard the sound going downhill while accelerating (a freeway onramp). Now (quite a few miles later), it can be heard on about every other startup, and sometimes when the vehicle begins to ascend or descend a grade.

The other thing -- I'm not sure if you'de call this a vibration or a rattle. Sometimes in idle I can hear a rattling type sound, again, from the engine I think -- though it sounds like something knocking right up against the dash. If I let my foot off the brake and allow the vehicle to move forward a couple of feet and then stop again, the sound will sometimes stop, sometimes not. Seems to be worsening. The same sound though more agitated sounding sometimes occurs when climbing hills -- usually while running at 2,100 to 3,000 RPM's.

Thanks in advance for your time, everybody.

Drivers side motor mount maybe :anon: pop the hood and hold break in gear and give it the gas, if motor shifts to side fast, that is what it is. If not, :confused:

Back