• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing OEM Fog Lights

2001BlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After installing some IPF headlight replacements and the heavy duty loom with 80/110s, I figure I might as well add some better fog lights. Problem is that I want to fit them where the factory mounted ones are. I found some IPF 840 RF (not sold in USA) that seem to be the rectangular fog light closest in size to the OEM (OEM: 145mm x 65 mm, IPF 840 RF: 168mm x 88mm).

Anyway, has anyone seen a Cherokee with upgraded fog lights in the factory mounted position?

THANKS!

The problem is that the OEM fogs have part of the light housing as part of the mounting bracket. I installed Hella 550's for a couple of years then went to 450's which are a bit smaller and don't hang down quite so much. Once you get the OEM fogs off you will see IIRC 4 or 5 holes in the mounting location. I used the oval shaped one and 'expanded' it some with a tapered drift pin until it fit the Hella threaded post. Then I used two big washers on both sides of the hole I expanded for extra support that way if I bury them in a dirt bank again they won't rip the expanded hole out.
The factory fogs also have pretty small gauge wire. Mine did not have any OEM fogs so I added the Jeep fog light wiring kit using half the kit inside and the heavier hella wiring and fused relay outside. Works well.

I replaced my OEM's with PIAA rounds. They just bolted right on and I used the factory wiring. It was an easy switch. I think the prices on PIAA's are kind of expensive. If I was going to do it again, I might look at some other ones first.

http://www.autoprofection.com/510series.html

Curt

replacing OEM fog lights

I'm considering changing my Factory fog lamps to Hella Optilux fog/driving lamps. They are 2.5"H x 5.7"L x 2.8"D for the dual-bulb/dual reflector elliptical lamps (55W H-3 bulbs, clear lens). They are $60 in JC Whitney catalogue (-10% in my most recent catalogue) and come with switch, harness, relay, and fuse ;)
The stock lamps SUCK!
BLUTO :)

Thanks everyone! And Bluto: I've been looking at PIAA 940 and IPF 840 RF, but those Hella you mention are way cheaper and seem to have the exact same dimensions as the OEMs. I'll grab a pair. Thanks!

Back