• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 spool

CHNSTRAP

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone out there used a spool in your 8.8. I'm thinking of getting one cause their cheap but i want to hear what some of you think first. TIA

Are you talking about a mini spool or a full spool?

Go with a full spool because its stronger than a mini spool and the stock carrier.

Street handling with the spool will be the same for the 8.8 just as it would be with any axle. Theres lots of posts about spools in general and how they handle on the street.

AARON

Preciate it man. I found just what i needed on the search. I think the spool is the way to go. Hey Aaron if you're ever going to uwharrie email me i live in lexington.
Wes

well, there is a problem with a spool and 8.8. 8.8 is c-clip, so to do a full spool, you need c-clip eliminators. They do make a mini spool that is supposed to accept the c-clips. I tried going this route, but found out that it will not work in the later 8.8's. Mine is a 99 and it didn't work. Not sure the cut off of when they will work.
I ended up welding mine up. Works just fine

should have been "welded mine up"

I am not "hardcore" Harder than some probably, but not hardcore. If you are thinking spool, then you might as well think welded too.

Well, I wasn't fortunate enough to get to go. Busy at work and not enough funds to justify it. ArmStrong made it though and I
talked to him this morning. He is having a great time so far.

Hey Vug, why aren't you out there? You ever going to have an XJ wheelable again? If so, you really need to bring it down. I will supply the Fat Tire :D

Some pics of me this past weekend at the new off-road park here in IL-Rockport Offroad Park

www.rorp.com

fae5039e.jpg

fae50370.jpg

fae5033e.jpg

fae50331.jpg

TRL WGN 1 said:
Hey Vug, why aren't you out there? You ever going to have an XJ wheelable again? If so, you really need to bring it down. I will supply the Fat Tire :D

Yeah! Buddy!

I will be able to build mine in March or April hopefully. I'm still working on putting a roof over my head.

Forewheeler and my 'lil brother are looking to do some short trips next year. Sounds like we need to come down ....'specially if the Fat Tire's on you. ;)

OFFICIAL HI-JACK!!!

yeah, I can undestand putting the roof over your head. I am trying to work on that as well, so the XJ won't get too many major changes for a bit. Just going to wheel it like it is, which doesn't work too bad anyways.

Yeah, you guys definitely need to make it down. I can have my buddy pick up the Fat Tire since he lives in Missouri (They don't sell it here either).

That new park is only about an hour and 1/2 from my place, so we can wheel on our farm one day, then drive over and wheel the park another day. May even be able to set it up so we can run the guided section of the park, with one of my wheeling buddies guiding for us.

Good plan

Sorry about the hi-jack CHNSTRAP

If you care, I vote for spool, mini or full, or welding it. DD or not.

And, since "I love it when a plan comes together!", let's make it happen

I like my welded rear. Not sloppiness like lockers have, and no tossing your around. Only downside is increased tire wear

spool it, and use a full spool. If I can break a mini spool, I'd bet I could break a weld.

$150 for the full spool, it'll cost much more for new gears/bearings/set up and the PITA it is to break on the trail when you break a weld.

So TRL WGN, when can we come down, um, I guess that Vug will have to have some more pressure from others other than me to get his ass in gear, he's a puss and will fold most everytime, although he's been a good boy building his house, and it's nice, so once he get's that done it's XJ time. Let's start making plans.

Last edited:
Fore Wheeler said:
spool it, and use a full spool. If I can break a mini spool, I'd bet I could break a weld.

$150 for the full spool, it'll cost much more for new gears/bearings/set up and the PITA it is to break on the trail when you break a weld.

So TRL WGN, when can we come down, um, I guess that Vug will have to have some more pressure from others other than me to get his ass in gear, he's a puss and will fold most everytime, although he's been a good boy building his house, and it's nice, and once he get's that done it's XJ time. Let's start making plans.

I'm going to ignore your last comments and reply to the tech in this thread.

If you weld the spiders and the welds break, the gears are still sufficiently booger'd up that they will still be locked together. You may have chunks of weld in the oil which could cause problems but you are still locked.

well, to break my welded diff, you would have to break the entire carrier in two pieces. Not saying it can't happen, just that I think the stock shafts will let go long before these welds break (had a friend weld it, who is a Union plumber, gets to weld all day). Plus, didn't cost anything besides the rod, and my gears were already set up. If it breaks, I will regear and then decide what carrier to use.

You guys definitely need to come down. Besides shot gun season for deer, and the occasional duck hunting, I don't have much planned. I can't take time off in December, but if you just came for a weekend, I wouldn't have to take much time off. When is good for you guys? Next spring would be nice, as the trails would be nice and wet/challenging.

Vug said:
Spring would be better for me too

yea, cuz you wont ride, you must wheel, and I don't blame you for that.

Kyle, you got room for a bus with a trailer down there so we can camp in your yard/driveway? We expect coffee by 7 am, bagels with lox and cream cheese and juice, to follow by 7:30. served by a young lady with a short skirt, big hooters and no bra. Can you handle that????? :D

I think I can handle most of it. My yard is 2 1/2 acres, with plenty of driveway, so the room is definitely not a problem. Surrounded by many acres of fields which my family owns, so you can bring a whole fleet of buses and we can park them.
The coffee and bagels is not a problem, but what you waiting until 7 for? I usually get up at 5. By 7 we should be wheeling.

Now the girl thing, you will have to talk to my lady about. Who knows?

Yeah, I get up by 5. I start work at 7:30, but have to drive over 45 minutes to get here.
Sometimes on weekends I have been known to sleep as late as 8:00 though :eek:

Back