• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the heck is wrong with my jeep?

orvpark

NAXJA Member # 1374
well to make i long story short i rolled back wards down a big hill, after i broke a rear u-joint. the driveshaft dug into the ground a few times on my way down. luckily i took out enough trees on my way down to stay straight and not roll it. now the problems. wheel bearings/hubs=fixed. u-joint (rear)=fixed. my wobble is all gone but i'm still getting a nasty grinding sound coming from the front in 2 or 4wd. worse in 4wd of course. what am i missing here???

Are they yota parts? :rolleyes:

How are the internals of the transfer case and the case itself after having the shaft dig into the ground and put all that force on the yoke?

xj92 said:
How are the internals of the transfer case and the case itself after having the shaft dig into the ground and put all that force on the yoke?
That was my first thought, too.:eek:

i put it on the lift and spun the wheels, there seemed to be a catch at every full turn of the wheel. the t-case wont make a sound. but i'm pretty sure it's coming from the diff. i didn't have time to pull the diff cover to see if i could see the prob. what would be the first thing to break? i would think it would be the front u-joints but they look and feel fine. what next? i'll pull the cover tomorrow....

Is the rear giving you trouble? If so, do you have a locking device of some kind? I ask since you stated that when the wheels are turned on full turn, is that with one tire spinning the opposet direction of the others (spider gears)? Or with both spinning same way (just a thought, carrier bent)?

Or is the front making the problem, with the stearing wheel full turns?

How does the motor run? With the shaft pushing in on t-case, it could have gone all the way to the crank and pushed the journals of the crank against the end caps.

Check all the way around the t-case and see if it broke the casing anywere. :anon:

Back