• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Identification

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I know that I found this information months ago when i needed it, but I can not find it now.

I have a friend who asked me to look at a xj and mj with him in the neer future and one is a MT and I needed to know how to identify the two MT's that were available from Mid 80's to early 90's.

I remember the two have very different transmission pans, can someone remind me which is which.

thanks,
Michael

As far as I know there where three jeep man. trans. used by jeep in the XJ, YJ, MJ days... They are the:

AX-5 light duty
The AX-5 is a light duty 5 speed manual transmission. it and the BA 10/5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989. It was also used in Cherokees (XJ) and Comanches (MJ) with the 2.8L V6, 2.5L I4, and 4.0L I6 from their introduction until 1989. After mid 1989, the AX-5 has only been used in 4 cylinder Wranglers (YJs and TJs), Cherokees (XJ), and Comanches (MJ).

AX-15 Meduim duty
The AX-15 is a medium duty 5 speed manual transmission. It was introduced in mid 1989 in YJs with the 4.2L engine and XJs and MJs with this engine. The first year of the Grand Cherokee (ZJ), the AX-15 was rare option only with the 4.0L engine. The AX-15 is still used in TJs and XJs with the 4.0L engine.

BA 10/5 Junk
The BA 10/5 is a light duty 5 speed manual transmission. It and the Aisin AX-5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989. It was also used in Cherokees (XJ) and Comanches (MJ) with the 2.8L V6, 2.5L I4, and 4.0L I6 from their introduction until 1989.

As far as I remember, the way to tell if you've got a PukeGoat or AX-5 is to look at the transmission case. If it's ribbed on both sides it's an AX-5. If it's only got ribs on one side it's the pukegoat junk.

Check this site for more info... pretty usefull stuff there.

http://www.jeeptech.com/

Thanks, That is exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

Back