• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14 bolt questions

dave

NAXJA Forum User
for anyone who knows....

i want to get a heavy duty cover from bluetorch fab

can you weld a fill plug into the diff cover on the top like alot of people do on ford 9" rears? or will the ring gear strike it?

shaving the bottom.. can you just use the cover as a template?...

anyone know the weight saving by converting to disc brakes on it ?

and last but not least i have .. SBC , 4l60e, ima eventurally get a 4.3 atlas ... i am going to run 37s or 38s ... what gear ratio ya think ? 4.56 or 4.88? keep in mind THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER

right now with 4.56 gears there isnt enough load on the trans when i get on it so the trans unloads a little shifting into 2nd gear and 3rd gear..

your opinions are greatly appreciated .

Dave, why do you need a fill plug in the cover?? The housing has one in it already. To answer your question, I don't know, but I'm sure you could find a place, like beside the ring gear where a fill plug wouldn't get hit. The cover isn't exactly molded to the ring gear's shape. Just my .02

Ary

Sorry I can not answer many of your questions except one.

I just shaved a FF14 and I went above the bottom of the diff cover. You can use the cover as a template or you can cut higher and trim the cover (without having to change the mounting of the cover). There is alot of extra meat on the entire bottom and shaving it makes a huge difference (along the entire bottom of the diff not just the middle).

HTH,
Michael

ary reason being ... with the pinion rotated at an almost retarded angle i want to be able to get the gear oil fill line high enough to not make the pinion bearing and support bearing oil starved ( my d30 just went thru this , thank god i am ditching it soon )

We just finished putting a 14ff on a buddy Joshs blazer ... shaved past the cover as well. As long as you leave somethign for the diff cover to bolt to you should be OK.

Not sure about the fill plug, but I'd think some measuring would answer that for you...

We converted his to disk and it saved a crap load of weight.... Can't remember exactly how much he said but pick up one of those drums and you do the math;)

Not positive on the gears with that setup, all I can tell you is he is going to 4.10s for 35-37s...

You might actually be able to find more info on coloradok5.com. Or if you want to ask Josh yourself I can PM you his email...

There are others hear that are much more knowledgable than me on this subject. But I was under the impression that the Corp 14 oil fill was low in stock for so that it did not fill the axle tubes? Am I wrong? Doesn't the rign gear spray the pinion bearings?

Michael

i'm almost positive it does fill the tubes because i was reading a disc swap article on pirate about it and it stated to put a bucket under the axle when you pull the shafts because gear oil spill out.

2xtreme said:
There are others hear that are much more knowledgable than me on this subject. But I was under the impression that the Corp 14 oil fill was low in stock for so that it did not fill the axle tubes? Am I wrong? Doesn't the rign gear spray the pinion bearings?

Michael

With the pinion pointed upward, you'll be able to overfill the diff if you chose too. It will be fine without an additional fill plug. My pinion is at 10deg. above horizontal, which is about the max you should go.

The drums were about 50lbs each, so removing and going with discs saves at least 70 lbs. Don't throw your hubs away with the drums or you'll be dumpster diving...........like I'd ever do that. :rolleyes:

As with any regear, get as much gear as you can afford. With the 4.0 and 38's you can't get enough to put it back to stock ratios. I have 5.13s but that's because I didn't find 5.38s sooner.

Good luck.

Not to hyjack but as long as were on 14 bolts. I just got one yesterday. 67" 80's model. The leaf perches are 1" wider on my cherokee than the 14 bolt. Is it safe to drill my shim offset by .5" to use the existing perches or do I need to remove and replace. I'm just lazy:)

csudman said:
Not to hyjack but as long as were on 14 bolts. I just got one yesterday. 67" 80's model. The leaf perches are 1" wider on my cherokee than the 14 bolt. Is it safe to drill my shim offset by .5" to use the existing perches or do I need to remove and replace. I'm just lazy:)

You are lazy. Do it right the first time around or you will be kicking your self in the bum later:twak:

AARON

csudman said:

Dude, shims are bad enough. Now you want to drill a shim and hang it halfway off your perch & halfway off your spring and expect the axle to stay in place? Good one. :)

Back