• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mask for painting flames?

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of painting my '90 XJ myself...and I'm also considering doing some flames. (either painted or magnetic) I'm not creative enough to mask off for the flames myself...is there some place that sells something already cut to use as a mask? Kind of like the magnetic flames...only not magnetic. :)

Well, if you're painting it yourself, use Acrylic Enamel and spray on 4 or 5 good coats. You can wet sand out any imperfections and runs (which will probably happen). Use a good fisheye additive and dont spray if the humidity is high.

Now, for masking tape, use 3M 1/4" mask. It's pretty standard for masking flames where I come from. I'm sure there are companies that can print up some awesome flame stickons that you could apply and spray.

One trick if you lay out your own flames, take a large sheet of tracing paper and tape it to your hood. Draw out your flame design on ONE SIDE ONLY. Fold the paper over & trace the flames on the other side and VOILA perfectly balanced flames. The fenders are just trace & reverse on the other side.

Good luck & post some pics.

vintagespeed said:
I'm sure there are companies that can print up some awesome flame stickons that you could apply and spray.

And where can I find these companies? ;) Making/shaping the flames myself just isn't an option for me. :)

Flames-o-rama

Flames are easy at least the taping part. Just look at any car and you'll see the pattern. I did my first ones when I was about 16 and didn't know any better. The hard part is laying the paint on so it looks good. Just practice on a piece of paper. And since you can only see one side at a time don't worry if they're not exactly the same. That said, they make flame decals. I just did a google search and came up with oodles of hits.

No...really...I can't make them. :rolleyes: Am I creative? Yes, very. Artistic? Not in the least. I have trouble with stick figures...;)

when I've done it, I've taken thick masking tape (2") laid it in a rough outline.

then I drew guidelines on the tape and scored the lines w/ an xacto knife. peel it back, finish masking and then spray.

when it's done, after about 2 weeks, use rubbing compound on the flame edges to soften them a little (makes a REALLY NICE touch on the flames)

Professionals will usually mask freehand. If you can not not draw them yourself I am sure that you have a friend who can do it or you can copy a nother job and have it enlarged so you can just trace it to the paper.

Spraying is much more difficult than coming up with the template and patern.

I just painted my truck a couple of months ago and have been considering putting on some ghost flames and will do it with the large piece of paper to begin.

Another option is to use a striper, and just stripe the flames on.

Michael

If you do mask your own flames, do what the painter at my work does. He thinks of a naked lady sitting on the floor in front of him facing away. Her butt crack (lack of a better way to say it) is the center front of the flames, and continue to make her hips and breast. With this flame style, his flame jobs have won several Can-Am National shows in their prospective classes.

IMHO Make them long and whispy(sp?) end in the middle of the front door.

house of kolor you can get there catalog at your local automotive Paint store they have a book on how to and a video on flames thats were I picked mine up I will see if I can find it my garage is such amess you might try a search and find a web site

FWIW...

I think they sell flames for ricer type cars at Pep Boys

They are just stickers, but you could probably get some ideas from them...

(just leave out all of the chinese writing!)

samples_vacuum01.jpg

One of the guys at PaintAnything.com has an XJ ... maybe he could hook you up with a template

If not, there was an ebay user "fatmans_customs" that used to sell flame templates (though not vehicle specific) ... I could prolly locate some contact data for him if you need (PM me).

Back