• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers..again..

andromeda2015

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched throughout all the posts and have yet to find an answer to my quesiton so here we go. Where is a good place (online) to order a decent header for a 89' 4.0L ? Most places I found had headers only for 91 and up Cherokee's. Also has anybody used Hedman Headers before? If possible, anywhere have Borla headers for under $350?

I bought my Borla header from Summit for about $429 or something like that. It was here the next day. There may be cheaper ones there, but Borla was in line with most.

Curt

Truckperformance.com had the best price on Borla for my app. 3years ago at $335 total.

anyone tried banks yet?

Banks only make a header for the 4.0 HO. The only other alternative to the Borla header is the Pacesetter, and that's not exactly reknowned for its high quality. Its only good point is that it's cheap.

Dr. Dyno said:
Unfortunately their price has increased to $434.

Wow! I'm sure I had some kind of sale price, but that's still some serious inflation:eek:

Dr. Dyno said:
Banks only make a header for the 4.0 HO. The only other alternative to the Borla header is the Pacesetter, and that's not exactly reknowned for its high quality. Its only good point is that it's cheap.

yeah, you HO guys have all the header companies, thorley, hedman, hooker?, and banks

:D

the headers for the HO engines will work on our RENIX heads with no problems. You just have to get rid of the EGR setup to use them. This has performance gains by itself because you are not pumping hot gas into your intake. It will effect your emmisions though. I just swapped a HO header onto mine, it is more of a header style exhaust manifold and it only cost me $12. You only stand to gain 3 to 4hp from the header. You could install a cam and port and polish your head for less than the $400 of a header.

CW. said:
the headers for the HO engines will work on our RENIX heads with no problems. You just have to get rid of the EGR setup to use them. This has performance gains by itself because you are not pumping hot gas into your intake. It will effect your emmisions though. I just swapped a HO header onto mine, it is more of a header style exhaust manifold and it only cost me $12. You only stand to gain 3 to 4hp from the header. You could install a cam and port and polish your head for less than the $400 of a header.

sooo you just put a HO manifold on your non HO?

What is different on the egr setup on the hos? (never really looked)

Truck Performance site

on the truck performance site it lists the header as for "manual: transmission".. does this matter since I have an automatic transmission? any difference?

hjeepxj said:
What is different on the egr setup on the hos? (never really looked)

The newer '91+ systems do not have an EGR, so by getting rid of it he meant getting rid of it! Keep in mind that if you're in a smog inspection place you'll want to keep the old manifold and put it on whenever smog time comes, they'll notice a missing EGR!

Also, for what it's worth, doing that is illegal, tampering with emmissions control systems is a no-no, just letting you know. :)

Sequoia

The Borla manual tranny header will fit as I have one in mine. Mine is an automatic. The notes say due to shift linkage interferance but that isnt a prob inless yours has column shift.

Check 4wheelparts or Summit or also www.4wd.com...

I bought mine from 4wheel parts a year ago and it was $377 tax included!(8.8%) I just saw one in the 4wd catalog for $389 so I am sure there is a better price out there.

Tim

Just an oppinion, it´s been said, by more knowedgable people than me, that the stock early 4.0 header is a pretty good header. Most of the power gains, by using an improved header, will be in the upper RPM range, my 4.0 will do double, most states speed limit now. Who needs it.
I did notice, while seaching the OEM warehouse for an exhaust manifold for my 87, that all 4.0 exhaust manifolds arn´t created equal. I guess they are produced at different factories or from different vendors. The wall thickness on some, was almost double that of others. In my mind thicker equals fewer cracks, the bain of early 4.0 exhaust manifilds.

Rev Den said:
Go Borla.....or stay home.

Rev

rev, Borlas are known to crack, though I havnt had this problem personally (I dont own borla) there are multi-pull :D people here on this board, JU and even POR that have had cracked borlas.

there "million Mile warrenty" is still a PITA when you have go through the replacing YOURSELF.

its supost to be "Go BANKS..... or stay home."

KarmirXJ said:
its supost to be "Go BANKS..... or stay home."

:yup: :agree:

Dr. Dyno said:

Dino -- Have Thorely and Leach stopped their Renix compatible productions (or are we talking something else)? I've had both and still have the Thorley p/n633Y on an '87 that works very well indeed -- Both were available at the beginng of the year, but that was some time ago...

Back