• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

superlift park broke another xj today. (long)

orvpark

NAXJA Member # 1374
well made a mad run to superlift today. the xj fared well til i got to the big hill, were talkin big. i made it all the way to the top (about 150ft). at the top is some steps with some loose stuff i couldn't see from the bottom. i started to spin so i got a little happy with the go pedal, and started to roll backwards. i grabbed another gear to try to get her going forward again to no avail. still on all four, for the most part, i slid backwardwards. fearing going to fast backwards i crammed her in reverse to try to compression brake my way down. SNAP!!!! no more u-joint. now with nothing in the back the front did little to slow me down. i went off the trail and took out every sapling on my way and managed to keep it from going end over end. now i pulled the driveshaft the rest of the way out and made a plug for the stupid slip yoke with a antifreeze cap, silicone and a little duct tape. made it into town in front wheel drive with all kinds of racket coming from the front. now i thought i carried every tool i could possibly need but i was wrong. th u-joint strap broke and sheared off two of the bolts inside the yoke. i managed a set of eas-outs and bought a cheap drill and power inverter and managed to find a set of straps and a u-joint. a little work and the main problem was solved. i limped my way the two hours back. now the question. it is making a grinding noise coming from the front. the driveshaft is tight up there so i've ruled out the joints. what else should i look at? possibly the joints at the hubs? it did a lot of bouncing on the way down and the rear driveshaft was forced into the t-case while i banged down the hill. it took a BFH to get it out. would a broken t-case or transmission mount make anything grind??? it was dark when i did the work so i couldn't really tell much at all. thanks guy's just needed to vent..........

try putting the front up on jack stands and rotating the tires in 2wd.... if you hear noise you may have roasted your spiders up front...

Yes something mucked up in the T-Case can make a grinding noise... but I don't think just a mount itself would make a grinding sound.

Back