• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual batteries?

bordn168

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have dual batteries in their XJ? If so how did you do it. I have a '91 with a 4.0, space looks pretty limited under the hood. I want to keep it out of the interior if possible.

Get rid of your airbox by using a cone filter, use a diesel XJ d.side battery tray (I don't have a part #, I think some tray from a MJ might work also(?) cable, wiring, relays, etc. and you're good to go.

Using the tray XJZ is referring to.
2muchxj_2.JPG

HUMMER_BANNER_H2.jpg

I think what he is looking for also.......

Is wireing too. I could be wrong but that is what I'm wondering. The painless kit is close to $200 and I don't have that kind of cash. How do you wire both batterys to get charged or can you only charge one at a time?

You could use a battery isolator (the blue box in the pic just above the warn solenoid box) which automatically switches the batteries from wired in parallel to isolated according to state of charge, etc. Or, you could use a starter solenoid to accomplish the same thing and control it manually with a switch and/or relay. I could draw up a wiring diagram for you if you want... just email me.

Well actually......

I was hoping to find a way for it to be done automatically and economically. It's one of my projects to do after I get the engine swap done. Where does one find/price these isolators? Thanks
Lawn Cher that is what I wanted to know.

I purchased one at Pep Boys several years ago and never got around to installing it for around $35 or so... they carried 2 different models, IIRC. I've also seen them in the JC Whitney catalog, and most RV supply places should be able to get them. Price goes up with amperage capacity.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...&Ntx=mode+matchallany&langId=-1&storeId=10101

According to this, I might just use my undersized Pep Boys model on my boat and get a bigger one for the Jeep.

Ok, did not think they would be easy to find....

The Owl you have some nice red wire in there. What guage is it? 2?

So how do I determine what size I need?

Did some searching. Found a few. Even found a Warn one on Advanced Auto Parts site!

dual batteries

Having 2+ batteries is very common on boats (safety & loads). You can find battery isolators fairly cheap at Boat US or West Marine stores (they are in most states and have catalogues). They are set-up as battery "A", "B", or "Both"; if you set it at both, you will charge and draw from both batteries simultaneosly.
BLUTO :)

I think THE_OWL just posted that to show off his 350.:eek: I wish I would have gone that route instead of a stroker, oh well I just have to wait another 300,000 miles.:doh:

OWL, do you have a part number from your second tray and tiedown for it? Mine's got the j-bolt notches in the center, had to jury rig the forward one because it comes straight up at the radiator cap.
Also on HO XJ's (at least on 93's) the computer is in the way of the second tray. I was able to flip it around and mount on top of the wheelwell near the mastercylinder, there was engouh slack in all the wires to do it.
The tray part number I used was 23034232

Also, where did you get that upper radiator hose? Is it flexible like it looks?

I don't run dual batteries, but have a York on the pass side, and battery on the drivers. That tray, tiedown, and that hose would have been nice when I got it set up.

engine5.jpeg

post hijack

Static-XJ how did you install your York? Kit or home brewed, Info please

Battery tray part#

The part# for that tray 55010770 orderable from any Jeep dealer. If they give you any problems or tell you its not avialable, Tell them they have to call DALLAS DEPOT and order because its an export only part and restricted for domestic sale. You can get them but you have to push a little because its a PITA. .

Rabbit
Jeep Dealer Asst Parts Manager.

Re: post hijack

rnmedic said:
Static-XJ how did you install your York? Kit or home brewed, Info please
I run a Kilby bracket, and alternator pulley. York hangs off the side of the Sanden AC compressor, and a v-belt runs from the York pulley to the v-grove in the Alternator pulley. It's a tight fit, had to piece together a upper radiator hose, because in the stock routing it keeps the hood from closing. Kilby does make brackets for XJ's, but you have to call and ask for it, the reason it's still "comming soon" is because it's not a kit.

There's more info in my web site.

Re: Battery tray part#

ryurabbit said:
The part# for that tray 55010770 orderable from any Jeep dealer. If they give you any problems or tell you its not avialable, Tell them they have to call DALLAS DEPOT and order because its an export only part and restricted for domestic sale. You can get them but you have to push a little because its a PITA. .

Rabbit
Jeep Dealer Asst Parts Manager.
I was told export part when I tried ordering that one. MIght have to go press them for it and switch to it. Do you know the number for the tiedown on that side?

Was away Campin in the WJ last few days
Ghost: Yes its 2ga
And Yes I posted just to show off my 367ci :D
Heres another Poser shot of a fabulous weekend 25miles from pavement:

Jeep%20Front%20Low.JPG

Back