• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signal (mod) wiring help

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
no luck w/ the other forums, so i figured i'd ask the "smart" people here...

finally swapped in the 44 and am reinforcing my rock rails before Moab, so now i'm working my way down the list to non-mechanical mods:

simple in theory-- i want my rear brake/tail lights (red) to also act as my turn signals instead of the current (amber) lamps. this is on a 2001 XJ.

any thoughts? i tried splicing in a 3-to-2 converter used in trailer wiring but it only worked correctly when the headlamps were off.

anyone? can't be that hard can it?

Sounds like you might need a flasher relay to make it work....IF the brake lights make the red lights brighter (when you hit the breaks) and normal on headlights are a dimmer of the two....to make it work you would need to make the bright side of the bulb flash. (basically simulate taping the breaks) but what happens when your on the breaks AND using your blinker......hmmm :banghead:

Before I brain out a way to do it, might I enquire as to why you would want to? The 3-light setup is actually preferable, and if you want to make your turn signals brighter, Night Watcher makes a 50W replacement 1156 bulb that works well. I have them in both of my DD XJ's to remove excuses around here in the Bay Area...

5-90

Here's a thought!

On my '93 & '95 rear break lights, there is 2 places for a bulb to go into, but there is only one being used, if yours has the same thing, take the bulb out of the amber blinker location and stick it in the spare bulb hole in the break light space.

:anon:

5-90 said:
Before I brain out a way to do it, might I enquire as to why you would want to?

just one of those things (that drives my wife crazy)... i don't like orange.
;)

let me know if you figure it out.

orange rear signals are rather unique. I like to consider them to be "pimp".

it's easier to see with the brake lights on. and the brake lights are both constantly on when braking and turning.

I am a strong supporter of orange turn signals. only way I'd ditch mine is if someone gave me some of those cool clear ones.

5-90, Do you have a source for the Night Watcher bulbs? I'd think I want to get a set for DC driving.

Back