• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prop valve for RUbi discs

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
Im geting a D44 with rubi discs for the rear. I need to replace the proportioning valve with one from a ZJ. Will one from a 93 work?

is there any difference between the years?

Might consider installing a ZJ master cylinder with dual diaphram vacuum booster too !!! Much more positive braking than with the standard early style vacuum booster.

I'd love to and plan to eventually, but i dont have any time. I hear the performance isnt as good, hope it will work in the mean time..

so will the prop. valve from the 93 ZJ work???? I was told that i should at least change that until i get the time to do the MC.

Did you get your axle yet?
BTW:why are your using 2 different names?

Removing the rubber cup from the existing proportion valve slider will equilize braking fluid to front and rear brakes. Check in the NAXJA TECH section and look for an article that Mike R. wrote. This will explain in more detail with pictures what I am talking about.

im still waiting for delivery...just trying to get all the little things taken care of so it can go right in.

I changed my name cause I use this name everywhere else.

so taking out this rubber thing will make 50/50 pressure distribution between the front and the back?

what pressure ratio is the stock ZJ valve?

thanks.

What did shipping end up running you?

well, now im not sure what to do..

I have been told to :

1) change the prop valve to a ZJ valve

or,

2)change just the spring in my stock XJ valve to a ZJ spring

or,

3)take out the black o-ring in the stock XJ valve

Which one should i do...I really hate bleeding the brakes:rolleyes:

-Thanks

I took the cup shaped seal ring out of mine (89) and it works well. (running the SVO/8.8 Ford disc kit, same as ZJ discs) Of course my braking system will work even better after I install my dual booster, master and ZJ disc/disc prop valve......but unlike some folks, I'm not gonna start a project like that 3 days before Moab.

I say do the cup seal mod until you have the time to do the booster swap. You'll be halfway there doing the ZJ prop valve install anyway, but it's your time.

what do you think will give better results? the cup, or to just replace the prop valve with one from a ZJ?

did you get better than drum performance with just removing the cup, or was it about the same?

thanks

...now if i just had the differential..

i run a 44 rear and d30 front.. i still have drums tho. i removed the o ring in the prop valve.. now i can lock up my tires up to about 35-40 mph on 35s... i think you'll be surprized at what a difference removing that little ring makes. HTH

jjvande said:
what do you think will give better results? the cup, or to just replace the prop valve with one from a ZJ?

did you get better than drum performance with just removing the cup, or was it about the same?

thanks

...now if i just had the differential..

The prop valve from a ZJ with rear discs will give you better performance, but removing the cup makes a big difference.
The performance is much better than with drums out back, the XJ system is biased poorly from the factory, in my opinion. Instead of a 60/40 front to rear, it's more like 70/30 or 80/20. Removing the cup allows a more balanced distribution of pressure front to rear.

If time and money aren't issues for you and you have the parts, then just do the ZJ prop valve, dual booster when you install the D44. If not, removing the cup from your XJ prop valve, along with the rear discs will make a giant improvement over what you had with drums out back.

Thanks, ill just go with the cup for now. then see if I like it. Ive ony got 31s right now, so it sounds like that should be plenty strong.

I'll let youall know how it goes this weekNAXJA

-J

Back