• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tired of my sagging headliner.

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
tired of my sagging headliner in my 91 xj laredo, i've been think of putting in a new headliner, maybe from like a 98 with the rear sound bar. would this fit? if so any one no where could i buy the headliner and sound bar from?
has any one else put in a new headliner from a newer xj?

soundbar is on ebay
if you got the 98 swap it will work with minor trimming

i need the headliner too, not just the sound bar. but the headliner should fit thats all i need to no. thanks

the headliner will not need any trimming

just grab ALL the domelights and visors from the newer XJ.

when you're pulling the headliner be EXTREMELY careful with the tabs on the soundbar. they stick into holes on the XJ's sheetmetal, and if you pull too hard on them, they'll break (guess how I found that out :rolleyes:

I only had to trim for that stupid glass-covered hole in my roof. if you don't have one of those, no trimming needed.

myxj10.jpg

myxj12.jpg

my sunroof covered the hole for the newer domelight, but the newer-style domelight is much larger than the older one, and the hole is bigger (hence, the reason you need to grab it)

wiring for the soundbar is pretty simple. the wiring is all on the driver's side behind the 1/4 panel trim. look for a square 4-pin connector with some 14gauge wire going into it. unhook the sh1tty speakers in the hatch, they sound like crap no matter what you do to them.

CheapXJ said:
the headliner will not need any trimming

:anon:
CheapXJ said:

unhook the sh1tty speakers in the hatch, they sound like crap no matter what you do to them.
Hmmmm, mine sound ok, and even when I tested my soundbar, the hatch speakers still worked....

cool sounds some what easy,
hey cheapxj
where did you find your headliner?
how much did it run you?
did you move yor tweeters?
thanks for the help.

Last edited:
got it at Harry's U-pull it in hazleton PA.

I paid $7 for it :D

did I move my tweeters? not completely sure what you mean by that. They're aftermarket, I put them there before I installed the newer headliner, and I have not moved them since. if that's what you mean :confused:

for the hatch speakers, running in tandem with the soundbar they will 1. put 2x the load on the amplifier, causing unneeded heat+distortion. 2. cause a phase discrepancy in the rear fill of upper-low to mid frequency range (this is not good)

if anyone sits in the rear seat, this could actually give them a headache after listening for a while. the phase misalignment will confuse the brain.

more speakers does not mean louder/better sound ;)

hmm, did not know that. well, i dont have the sound bar hooked up anymore anyways since ive removed all paneling and the headliner. What size holes did you drill in the pillar panels to put those tweeters in? And is that the best place to have them?

i don't no much about speakers so thanks for the info on more speakers does not mean louder/better sound. i wanted to no if you had moved your tweeters from where they came stock on xj's. where did you buy your aftermarket tweeters?
i bought my speakers through crutchfield.
once again thanks for the help.

the tweeters are surface mount kenwoord 1" tweets.

I just ran two screws into the a pillar trim, tucked the wiring behind them and ran it to the plugs for the stock ones that werent there in my junk.

I bought them from a local shop that has the best prices on kenwood stuff that I have ever seen

www.moyerelectronics.com

a $399 kenwood item through crotchfeld is usually$100 less through moyer's

I wouldn't say its the best location from a stereo imaging standpoint, but they don't get in the way of anything there, and unlike my door speakers, I'll drown before they do :D

I agree that is probably the best spot for tweeters, and they look tight. Thanks for the help, I'm going to the junkyards and look for headliner.
when you pulled the headliner, did you get your sound bar with the headliner ?
if you did $7 bucks was a damn good price
laters.

Will the sound bar headliner fit my 86? It needs a new headliner anyways so while I'm at it might as well upgrade.
Mike B.

the sound bar is part of the headliner, it cannot be separated unless you cut the headliner apart.

yes, it will fit an 86. it'll fit ANY XJ, 2-door and 4-door are the same.

CheapXJ said:
the sound bar is part of the headliner, it cannot be separated unless you cut the headliner apart.

yes, it will fit an 86. it'll fit ANY XJ, 2-door and 4-door are the same.

Excellent, looks like I'll be checking out the junkyard for one then next weekend. There's supposed to be a whole bunch of XJ's at a junkyard west of here that I've never been to yet... will be a good excuse to go check it out.
Thanks,
Mike B.

i went to the junk yard and the only place that would well me one wanted $125 and they all had something wrong with them, plus none were from a new xj with the sound bar.
**** that looks like i'm going to have to fix it my self.
cheapxj got a hell of a deal.
all of albuquerque's junk yards are like that they would rather throw it away then give me a good deal.
he also said there's a risk that he might damage the headliner when he take’s it out.
thanks for all the help.
laters

Legacy said:
i went to the junk yard and the only place that would well me one wanted $125 and they all had something wrong with them, plus none were from a new xj with the sound bar.
**** that looks like i'm going to have to fix it my self.
cheapxj got a hell of a deal.
all of albuquerque's junk yards are like that they would rather throw it away then give me a good deal.
he also said there's a risk that he might damage the headliner when he take’s it out.
thanks for all the help.
laters
Hey, that 's the difference- you said he might damage it- you'll pay the labor for him to pull it- try to find one in a pull it yourself junkyard and save the labor.;)

thats the thing i would have gone to a pull it your self junk yard, but there are none here in albuquerque that i no of.

Back