• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting stock control arms

brian

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed I have a front upper arm that is bent with a stress crack in it. I was thinking I could just cut it in the middle add some tube the length of the arm and weld it up. Anyone think this is a bad idea ?

as long as you do a good job strengthening it

whats the worst that can happen? its not strong enough and it lets go and your axel falls off?:eek:

USE TUBING INSIDE OF IT

Just weld some round or square tubing inside of the bracket and then weld the crack shut. Cake!

I figured I would lengthen them a little while I was at it. As soon as I have time I'll make some adjustable ones. Thanks.

I had to repair some seriously taco'ed UCAs when I stuck my front driveshaft through the back of my T-case a few years back. The stock arms are thin and only 3 sided, I think they twist ALOT during flex. I wouldn't recomment just welding in a patch, it'll probably crack again when they try to twist. I would cut out the entire area between the bushings, clean things up & weld in some square 1.25 or 1.5" tubing, nothing less than .120 wall.

They'll be fine that way, but if you just bandaid them the bandaid may crack again and giveout when you really need it.

BTW, why are they bent in the first place?

Back