• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 lock right install / carrier shim question

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
Since I have to pull the carrier out to get the ring gear off in order to remove the cross pin, I am concerned with the shims. I know that I can put everything back the way it came out and it will be good to go. I have never pulled a carrier out and I need to know if the shims are going to fall out to where I won't be able to keep track to where they went or do they stay in place or what. Anything else I should be concerned with?

bretto

They are held behind the carrier bearings,so just some have fun!

The carrier bearings are pressed on!

Last edited:
Yea but the bearings come out with the carrier, so will the shims fall out if they are right behind the bearings? Seems that if the bearings are not there then the shims will be loose and fall out.?

bretto

You're not understanding what he wrote. The carrier bearings are PRESSED onto the carrier -- as in "press fit." You need a hydralic shop press to get those bearings off. They aren't going anywhere, and neither are your shims.

Not necessarily, I've seen the carrier shims installed on the out side of the outer carrier races..

If this is the case, just install them as they came out.

Normally, the shims are captured beteen the inner race and the carrier itself, and all you have to do is install the carrier back in.

Either way, whatever comes out, install the same way, and you won't have problems.

M.

The shims are sandwiched in between the carrier and the pressed on bearings (they wont go anywhere), you wont have to worry about carrier preload since it has already been set up, just mark the caps, remove the carrier and go to town, just remember to torque the caps back to specs.

An illustration...

1887carrier1.jpg

just make sure the races go back on the same side they come off of, make sure the bearing caps go back on the same side they came off of (you'll see weak marks), and make sure you use blue loctite on your ring gear bolts. its also good for to mark the ring gear and its position on the carrier for the hell of it. randys ring and pinion has all the torque specs you need.

getting the carrier out can be a bitch sometimes, ive had to hook the winch up and bump it to yank a tight d30 carrier out before.

Hunter

Back