• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Bolt dimensions, D44, Help! :)

PhatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I need to order new U-Bolts today, and my XJ is 30 miles away.

I know they need to be 10" long aprox, but I didn't check what the diameter of the bolt itself is, or the diameter of the tube.

Anybody know these off hand? Or have one they can measure up? It's a D44.

1/2x20 thread, 2 3/4" diam, 6 7/8" long or longer if needed.
Same size as the bolts on the Dana 35.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
1/2x20 thread, 2 3/4" diam, 6 7/8" long or longer if needed.
Same size as the bolts on the Dana 35.
Wayne

As usual, I'm too late.

They are NOT the same for the Dana 35 and the Dana 44.

Dana 35 u-bolts are 2-5/8" inside clear width (3-1/8" center-to-center) and 5-1/2" from the inside of the loop to the end of the threads.

Dana 44 u-bolts are 3-1/8" inside clear width (3-5/8" center-to-center) and 6" from the inside of the loop to the end of the threads.

Both are 1/2x20 thread.

These dimensions were just measured from OEM parts. The Dana 44 u-bolts are NEW factory parts still in the bag with the parts tag on it.

I got the demnsions from a package of new Trailmaster bolts #40005.
These bolts were to be used to replace the factory bolts on the 87 with the Dana 44 when it was pulled and a D35 was put in its place.
The factory bolts were in such good shape that they were reused on the 35 housing.
The new Trailmaster U-bolts and the used factory bolts are a snug fit around both the 35 and 44 housings.
Both fit in the factory top plates(stock 87) and there is no room for a wider spaced U-bolt.
These U-bolts would not work on the 8.25 as they are too narrow,that is where the 3 1/8 U-bolts work.
Wayne

The info I gave the U-Bolt shop was the length I needed them (10"), the diameter of the bolt itself (7/16") and the dia of the axle housing (2-3/4" -0" +1/8" deviation tol). So from there, they'll build them the way they should be built, so I should be good to go. Thanks guys.

Back