• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd

skunkman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to beef up my 2wd XJ. I've heard that unless your doing some serious off roading, the occasional trip through the field doesn't really need 4wd. What I think I need is a D44 and disk brakes.

I think I could get by in the snow and muddy farm fields with some type of locker. I'm really fuzzy when it comes to the words: 'locker', 'LSD', 'Positve traction'. I think I just need something that when one wheel starts spinning I push a button or something and they both start spinning. I'm not sure what dis/advantage it would be to have both wheels spinning all the time, and how if at all it would affect gas mileage. I'm looking for suggestions here. What do you guys reccomend? Basically this will be used for a daily driver, I'll be towing some small cars and an occasional travel trailer.

I guess I'll need to get bigger anti-sway bars. I thought about lifting it but I figure if I'm towing something I really dont want to be swaying back and forth, side to side on the freeway and should just add some tougher sways. Do you guys have any advice on towing?

What gear ratio would you guys reccomend? It's mostly for towing trailers and running hay and what not through the field.

What gear ratio will depend on tire size.

What tire size are you going to be running after final build up?

mark
orgs mfg

Well the factory had the option for the D44 with the tow package, if your pulling have loads I would replace it or go with a 8.8 from a Explorer with Disc Brakes already on it. But also why tow really heavy loads with a XJ, why not a truck but that is your call. For sway bars in the front and rear, just replace the bushins with good poly ones, Daystar has a kit for them. That will really help it out. Juice

Speed_racer said:
plz, dont put a lift on your 2wd!!

You dont need a D44 on your 2wd'er either.

And unless youre towing something heavy, I wouldnt do the brakes.

But, you really think you need to, do a disc conversion to your Dana 35, and leave it in there!

and yes, a locker will help with towing!

I couldn't disagree more, Speed, with everything you said.

I think a mild lift and say 31's on a 2WD would make an excellant beat around two-track, field running rig. I say go for it!

Why not upgrade the rear to a 44? It's a stronger axle, period, and would be a good upgrade for a 2WD with a locker. Adding disc brakes would be awesome, advisable even, for a guy who wants to use the XJ to tow with, regardless of the weight. Stock brakes suck for a stock XJ .

If skunkman wasn't going to use it as a mild off-roader, I would say skip the locker. For towing, there is no real benefit to it or an LSD. Unless of course this hay wagon tow duty includes wet and muddy fields, in which case I would do it.

If money isn't an issue, get a selectable locker in there and you have the best of both worlds.

Welcome to NAXJA Skunkman. This is the place to get your XJ questions answered.

D44 - $300
Lift Kit $400
Tires $450
Locker $600 (good one)
Disc brake concersion $200

== $1950

I say sell the 2wd put the $2000 you would spend and whatever you sell the 2wd for , buy a 4wd.

;)

I do a bit of mud roading, snow, ice and haul a trailer.
As far as the trailer goes, a good rule of thumb, is half the wieght of the towing vehicle without trailer brakes. The same wieght as the towing vehicle with trailer brakes. Stock XJ tows well, tranny cooler, good shocks help, haven´t had any serious sway issues, towing my car hauler. Yearly oil changes in the diff. with friction enhancer additive, for my limited slip. I don´t believe you´ll get far, on most muddy farm roads with a 2X and a trailer.
Mud roading, I´ve tried a spool, welded spiders, and ratchet locker, in various vehicles. I prefer a limited slip, of some sort. The object in mud, is to keep forward momentum. A locked diff in many cases, tends to swing the rear in one direction or the other, while under power. The rears have uneven traction and the tire with the most traction, seems to torque the vehicle to the side often. A ratchet type locker, loads and unloads at odd times, especially under power. Both will really mess with your ability to steer in a 2X in mud, snow or ice at times. The limited slip, seems to handle the bias better, on loose uneven surfaces (seems to drive straighter) and makes whatever steering you have (in a 2X) work better (lets the diff unload, so you can maybe turn a corner).
A small lift, might help save the rear bump stops, if the XJ is loaded or carrying passengers on a muddy road.
My tire and suspension philosophy is, traction is found under the mud (wider tires don´t help much)(you gotta find the bottom). 30 X 9.50 serious (aggresive) tread, medium stiff suspension (rebound will put you in the ditch), minimum lift (lowest practical center of gravity).
Keep the road crown in mind when driving. Have the phone number of a buddy with a tractor handy and have fun.

One thing to keep in mind kids...

Everything can be transfered to a 4WD XJ. For that matter he can convert to 4WD down the line.

Skunk, I say go for it, hell, life's too short not to have fun, right? Anyway, if you feel that you need the 4WD down the road look for a cheap XJ and transfer your goodies over to it, then sell the old 2WD in it's converted back to stock form, problem solved! :)

Hey I will have to agree, if you want to run and build the 2WD then do it. As for the 2wd concept I run both a 2wd and 4wd AND FOR WHAT YOUR SAYING A SIMPLE SET OF 235 75 R15'S SHOULD DO THE TRICK NICELY. Oh and since the 4WD is awaiting a motor I have found that the 2WD does very well off road all things considering.

Back