• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock 88 4.0 + NOS = boom??

JJacobs

NAXJA Forum User
Hey stupid question here. I'll be putting my 88 4.0 in a single seat buggy for UROC competition next year. (did you know UROC and RCAA just merged?)
Anyway I know the 4.0 isn't going to give all I want at times, and am thinking of putting a 50-100 shot on it for the stupid climbs.
Will it blow? And can anybody give me a ballpark $$ how much will the most basic system cost.. this is an 88, .030 with hypereutectic sealed power pistons, graphite coated :rolleyes: and a 94 HO head, Renix system.
Thanks,
Jon

edit here is a pic: with enough HP you can clear a gap like this, seen it done:eek:
pic.php

Last edited:
Showing my ignorance here...but nitrous is intended for high rpm use only...are you going to be running enough rpms to use it?

Sarge

You can run NOS with some good results as long as you follow the rules. :fuse: You must do a wet injection system... dry injection will toast your pistons. I would recommend removing the intake and tapping each intake runner with NOS and fuel jets. NOS should also not be used below about 3000 rpm. So that would give you a short window of power...especially in 4low....The danger you will face.....far before your motor pops....is the breakage of driveline components due to the explosive force of NOS with low gears. :explosion

Make it a small system, ~ 50 hp.

Make it a wet system, with both N2O and fuel injected under the TB.

Follow some rules:

Only use it with an engine at normal operating temp (not after a cold start). Engine heat keeps the fuel in suspension (vapor).

Use a throttle stop to lock out a shot with the TB closed (either a pedal or TB switch).

RPM is your friend, a shot while lugging the engine is likely to cause rod bearing damage (small engines are always high rpm so be aware what works for others may not work for you).

Take care to mount the N2O bottle so the siphon is always wet. A vapor shot will leave a rich mixture, and little subcooling.

A choice between going slow and risking breakage will need serious consideration.

Gey a VENOM nitrous system, they have 2 models and both are computer controlled about $650 for VCN1000 or $1250 for VCN 2000.

The VCN1000 is Venoms entry level nitrous system. The system is built using Venom's closed loop fuel control system which ensures the proper air/fuel ratio under all operating conditions. The system features an advanced microprocessor based control module that will automatically terminate the flow of nitrous if the air/fuel mixture becomes to lean. You control the flow of nitrous to your engine using various sized nozzles, each kit contains 4 nozzles, the module will automatically control the fuel flow to your engine using the existing injectors. No modifications to fuel pressure required.

The VCN2000 has the same features as the VCN1000 but you can program it yourself with your PC, you can even program the VCN2000 to act like a turbo! I $hit you not. It is super sweet! Too many features to list!

They are easy to install too!

Ed A. Stevens said:
. . . Make it a small system, ~ 50 hp . . .
. . . Follow some rules . . .
. . . A choice between going slow and risking breakage will need serious consideration.

These sound most sensible; I'd'a made the same comments if I didn't know you as well as I do:
"Small" what's that?
"Rules" what's that?
"Breakage" Yeah, so?

I'm in concert with these thoughts, but the $$ outlay for a nicely controlled system would allow for the $$ to EFI your pig-iron 401. For my part, the 3k-redline envelope that you'd have to operate your funny-gas in would (for me) be too narrow of a window unless you could support some level of RPM control on the engine and the NOS instantly (I haven't found a quick-pick-off for the RPM crasher on the RenixII ECU to drop augmentaion/boost, so it'd need to be another $ystem - could prolly get something a little less than reliable together if you needed)

Ever though of a JATO ? (be sure your spotter is safely tucked behind something)

There is some very valuable advice here.. hats off to all..but let me throw in my 2 cents.. nitrous and high rpms are not joined at the hip.. The most dramatic effect is in the torque output, larger horsepower numbers are the effect of torque plus rpm which allow the engine to do more work...the injection of more fuel and oxidizer (nitrous) increases the cylinder pressure producing the power gains. A well built stock engine can safely take a small shot with little impact on reliability. HESCO recommends a max 35 HP shot. My 2.5, with the addition of a copper o-ringed head gasket handles a 75 hp shot. but the one time I used it 4 wheel low...the TC exploded like a cheap watch...Waaaay too much torque increase....

Nitrous (at least the fogger type...don't know about the dry type) should NEVER be engaged except at WOT...You need VERY good gas (116 octane) for the nitrous injection system luckily this can be supplied from a small fuel cell if you go with a fogger system...if your engine "pings" under load now..you may need to do a little combustion chamber work to get the quench height in the zone...

My 2 cents...

should NEVER be engaged except at WOT...You need VERY good gas (116 octane) for the nitrous injection system luckily this can be supplied from a small fuel cell if you go with a fogger system
NOS should also not be used below about 3000 rpm. So that would give you a short window of power...
This is good advice. I ran nitrous on a BB Ford and controlled it through three switchs. I used a limit switch on the throttle linkage at WOT, a low fuel pressure (hob) switch, and a MSD rpm window switch. The window switch allows an accessory (nitrous solnoid) to be turned on only between two preset rpms. The lowest chip I could find was 3000 and I used a 6400 for the max. I was running a MSD 6AL box with a 6600 chip in the rev limiter.

This setup shut the nitrous off prior to bumping my rev limiter to protect my engine. The limit switch basically allowed nitrous on WOT, as soon as I let off, it shut off. The hob switch would shut it down if fuel pressure dropped too low.

I also ran the fuel side of my system from a one gallon JAZ fuel cell. I could put any octane fuel I wanted in it and have lower octane in the tank.
the one time I used it 4 wheel low...the TC exploded like a cheap watch...Waaaay too much torque increase....
I ran nitrous in 4LO without any trouble but it was in sand not rocks and with an NP203 case not a 231. Take it for what it's worth.

Back