• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker installed racheting seems excessive

Spooky

NAXJA Forum User
I have it all installed except for the diferential cover and fluid. it passes the lock unlock test but seems really loud when racheting. From all I have read about this locker I was expecting it to be as quiet as my no-slip was when I first installed it. Have any of you installed one of these in a dana 30 yet? Is this normal or did I install something wrong?

My Aussie in the D44, ratches around every corner. I have to say it does not bang, every corner is clean, from left to right to left. I just hear it click. It is a lot tighter than my Lock-rite, I understand it has to do with the smaller teeth.

I did install the trush washers, the directions didn't say anything about them, but I know in the directions for my Lock-Rite, said that these were critical, and the locker would not unlock unless these were installed.

So far I have about a weeks worth of mileage on it, and it has been fine.

Let us know if its better or worse compared to a no slip on the road. Perhaps the clicking is just louder because its not swimming in gear oil in a closed diff?

Lucas said:
Let us know if its better or worse compared to a no slip on the road. Perhaps the clicking is just louder because its not swimming in gear oil in a closed diff?

That's what I was thinking.:anon:

XJCHUCK72 hear ya on the instuctions they are way to generic, not specific at all. My instructions did say to reuse the thrust washers and gave how may thousandths the gap was supposed to be.

I guess I was just expecting to much. I have zero experience with lockers so I can't compare it to a lock rite. I put the no slip in last week and it made almost no noise with no flid in the diff when I did the lock unlock testing. With all the hype about how quiet the Aussie is I was expecting something simular.

I put in the fluid in the diff and retested it and it was still pretty loud. I drove it and could not hear any ratcheting. :D It makes a slight clunk around sharp corners when it is engaging and disengaging barely noticable. I installed at may dads house(stuff like this is so much more plesant on concreet with a roof over your head) and then drove it 35 miles to my house and its complety transparent in 2wd. When I got to the dirt road I live on I put it in 4 hi and played with it a bit. Its a little more effort to steer but not as much as I was expecting. I'm pretty pleased with both of them so far. I can already tell a big difference in traction.

I Going to redo my front suspension before I got up to BMRA to test em out good. Hopefully my UCA'S will get here this week(JKS has been on back order) thats the last thing I'm waiting on before I drop it off at the fabricators.

Where to get one???

Where are you guys getting the Aussie Locker and what kind of money are we paying for it?

I have searched the Internet and have not found prices on this locker.:(

Thanks

Thanks chuck........I had been there before but had not looked hard enough.:rolleyes:

I ordered my D30 Aussie last Wednesday and it showed up on Monday morning. I couldn't figure out what the UPS guy was dropping off. I was prepared for a month lead time like I had heard in the past. Now I just need to find some time to install it. Not sure what the lead time is like for other applications.

Back