• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

79 F-250 HP44 Front....

sintax

NAXJA Forum User
So guys...give me a reason not to buy this axle. It is complete, lockout to lockout. The owner bought it to narrow and put into his YJ but lost interest (budget). I know all of these axles have some bad parts and good parts. It does have the flat top knuckles. I would be narrowing it to wagoneer width for my XJ. I know it is an 8 lug and that would need to be addressed down the road before it is done as well. I did do some searches and found people spoke highly of this axle. Can someone give me some downsides, will I need to have it re-tubed due to any weird control arm mounts or anything or can i just have them cut off?

Thanks,

-Scott

I have no reasons for you NOT to buy the axle....

personal opinion: it is unecessary to shorten this axle if you are in need of new rims, go to 17" and a numerically higher (4-5") offset.

well does it have cash radius arm mounts or leaf spring perches? if it has cast then you'll either want to convert and run a radius arm setup like farmer matt or have it retubed so you can weld on brackets.. if its perches.. grind em off and weld away.. i'm using one of these for my axle conversion... why not run it full width and just pick up a matching rear dana 60 and bolt that in.. run 8 lug and maybe hummer wheels ?

I spoke to the owner of the axle again, he is telling me that the truck he pulled it from was sprung with leafs at all 4 corners. He said that the driver side leaf mount is on the carrier housing? Can anyone confirm this? He is going to be emailing me pictures of the axle soon. I will post them when I get them, to get the consensis.

-Scott

dave said:
well does it have cash radius arm mounts or leaf spring perches? if it has cast then you'll either want to convert and run a radius arm setup like farmer matt or have it retubed so you can weld on brackets.. if its perches.. grind em off and weld away.. i'm using one of these for my axle conversion... why not run it full width and just pick up a matching rear dana 60 and bolt that in.. run 8 lug and maybe hummer wheels ?

I am not dead set on cutting it down, I am just looking for a good base axle to start with, I would decided on where I want to go with it down the road. Beez's idea is not half bad ;)

-Scott

Thats the axle I used. Except it was Radius Setup. Its been cut down, And thats fine with me.
I think a D44 can be a serious axle if setup right. Many of the competitors still run 44s for the weight savings.
I just added the partsmike.net Knuckles and Steering arms. Alloy Warns and CTMs. Im guessing this axle will be 85% as strong as a D60 and a noticeable difference in weight.
I also Converted it to Chevy Brakes and its a 5 on 5.5 lug.
The previous owner of the axle swears up and down that they arent cast radius mounts, but I gotta say, they look pretty cast to me. POR15 going on tonight!
Jeep%20Engine2.JPG

On the leaf sprung 44's they made the drivers side perch part of the housing, only drawback to this is mounting spring plate for coils and depending on how much tube is betweeen it and the knuckle mayby, problems with control arm mounts ( ask Led about this problem ), I would look for one that had the weld on radius arm mounts from a F-150 then it is real easy because there is enoungh room on the tube for all the mounts. then you could leave it full width, swap on some F-250 knuckles and disk brakes for 8 lug pattern and get a full floating dana 60 rear end which is already 8 lug and are very common for the Fords so it would be easy to get one of matching width. That is how I did mine last time I built it up.

OWL, if it had radius arms.....it's an F150 1/2 ton D44.

The F250 3/4 ton D44 is a little heavier in the housing, and the tubes are super thick. The only down side to this axle is that long side axleshaft isn't 'standard' and they're tough to find in the junkyard (at least around here). Run some chromo shafts & you'll be GTG.

front_setup.jpg

Vintage: Who did your fab work on your axle? It looks pretty good. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you have wrapped up in it?

thanks,

-Scott

I did the hacking. You should never ask that other question, it makes us feel like morons. I'd say alot more than I should have.

If it makes you feel better, I should've got a 60 & will kick myself until I do. (I figured I better say it before Burrow does).

Ghetto fab is looking good jimbo! hehe. You need to haul yer ass back to socalxj and keep us updated on your progress. I love seeing the pics.

BTW, I'll take the 44 off your hands when you're done with it so you can get that 60. But I won't give you any money for it, and you'll have to fab me up some coilover mounts, and I'll take the coils too! And that's my final offer!
:D

So is it ready to go yet or what? U goin to Moab? If so, better hurry up. We should start taking bets on who's gonna finnish first on there huge axles and coil over project. You or Burrows.

Hope to see you on the trail again.

First I have to say that my Heep isn't tested, so it's hard to answer what's going to break first. I'm not nieve enough to think that nothing will break.....

The 3 link + TB is used by many competitors and others, I got the idea from Richard Gauthier who did the first of this setup on an XJ (that I've seen). As to the binding issue, I'm not worried, alot of the radius arm (long arm) guys are disconnecting one of their uppers to keep from snapping them off. Kinda proves the 3 link vs. 4 link theory I think, and puts an exclamation point on the whole "bind is good" b.s. that alot of radius arm lovers spout. I'm running 12" coilovers so I'm not going to have 'amazing' droop. That will help with not stressing the control arms.

The TB is bent to clear the pumpkin and oil pan on full passenger stuff. I built the suspension around the tire/wheel/axle combination so I CAN actually stuff the 38s and maintain steering lock/lock. Couldn't do that with my 35s.....

vintagespeed said:
If it makes you feel better, I should've got a 60 & will kick myself until I do. (I figured I better say it before Burrow does).

Too late, I said it in the other thread already :D

So what about the SoCalXJ list for updates guys? :eek:

-Mike L.

Back