• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ stutter

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ 4.0 auto. Was a dealer throw away, I picked up cheap, 100,000 miles. I´ve found a bunch of problems, from bent pins to fried wiring.
It has a stutter at around 2000 RPM and the horses seem to fall off after that. I washed it recently and it was so thankfull it ran good for almost five days. Then started again, with the stutter/cross fire.
Grounds? AllData recommends, retiming (crossfire). Cranks about five times before turning over, occasional high idle at start up. Ignition system seems OK. Compression 150, fuel pressure and regulation OK, vacume seems OK. Fuel filter replaced along with air filter (really helped), crankcase ventilation system OK. Middle cylinders seem to burn a touch leaner than the rest, also a bit more compression.
Fixed the biggest problem, faulty kill switch in the alarm system.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I´m a newbe, been reading the threads for awhile, a lot of guys that really know ther XJ´s seem to hang out here. I´m still learning the pre 91 models.

Last edited:
Maybe a TPS issue?? Or a fuel delivery issue. Even though the fuel pressure is fine, you might have a MAP sensor problem, even and O2 sensor problem....It can cause you to lean out and create the stuttering.

This sounds just like the problem I had on my '88. It turned out to be the O2 sensor. Those things can cause funky symptoms! I thought the transmission was slipping at first.

Burley

I wouldn't necessarily rule out ignition problems. Deteriorated ignition wires and/or bad plugs could cause the problem you describe. You might also want to make a couple of resistance measurements across the primary and secondary of your coil, particulary when it is hot. Primary should be a couple of ohms and the secondary in the thousands.

Thanx for the imput. It´s one of those little things that will drive a guy nuts.
I had some serious igniton issues when I first picked up the XJ, wrong (way to hot plugs), cap and a kill switch wired into the yellow wire. Resoldered the wire together. Checked the coil for a good pulse, but didn´t check resistance (will do). Cap and plugs are new, wires check out (ohms)(replaced a couple just because they looked wrong).
The MAP sensor, looks like it has been recently replaced as does the TPS (tranny, outside TPS?).
I failed to mention before, it´s most noticeable, at around 2000 RPM in high gear at around 70 MPH, while slightly accelerating (pretty low vacume).
The thing that really throws me, is that it seems to run OK when wet.
It did appear to have some shifting issues in the beginning, but seem to have resolved themselves. Like Burley mentioned I could have been confusing ignition with tranny problems.
I´m doing the exhaust pretty soon, will replace the 02 while I´m at it.
All in all I´m pretty happy with it, it´s turning out to be a nice little work truck. Wife´s got a Cherry 95 HO (Black), she won´t let me within 10 yards of:D

Back