• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44? Yes it is.

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Yes. I picked up one on the weekend from an '87 XJ with factory installed tow package. I have been eyeing the Detroit Electrac for a long time. Now I will try to get one for my new baby.
Anyway, I need to regear to 4.10 to accomadate 31" tires. The drumb brakes will have to be replaced. I like the disks idea. Only now I have to remember the donar vehicle (was it a Caddy or was it a Crown Vic) and get the entire system. You guys who have done this before, throw me some ideas. And by the way, any good rear end shops in South Florida. This job is something I prefer leave to the experts.
TIA.

Why get a 44 for 31s if you already have a 8.25? Are you breaking shafts? Why not regear to 4.56 in anticipation for bigger tires (im assuming thats what you need the extra strength for?

better to build it big the first time instead of building it again and again

The 8.25 has over 250,000 miles on it. I hear it humming along the highway. That means it need to be rebuilt. I picked up the D44 for $100.00 I think it would be better to rebuild that instead.
I do not plan to run any thing bigger than 31" tires with about 2" of lift. I am trying to avoid the little problems associated with high lifts. In addition, I do upto 40,000 miles per year 90% highway.
This weekend I will go looking for a Crown Vic. What year Crown Vic?

cherokeekid said:
Crown Vic caliper brackets are the same pattern as the axle flange, you can use either ZJ rear rotors or enlarge the hub on the CV bracket to work on the D44 axles.

Ive never seen any info on that set-up???????
Do you have any links to any write-ups on this?

Last edited:
small pederson said:
better to build it big the first time instead of building it again and again

Huhh?

Since when is a rear d44 big? :rolleyes: :confused:

ZachMan said:
...Since when is a rear d44 big? :rolleyes: :confused:

Yes, I agrree. While not the strongest axel on the block, it still would make sense to go to 4:56's if you are going to rebuild it anyhow. Same amount of werk! Gearing is everything and if you have experienced clay, you will know what I mean.

Cheers,
-V-

Back