• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginner lift questions, please pitch your two cents

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
I have a three inch cheapo lift on the way. springs up front, 2" aal in rear with one inch block.

Anyway, I am putting it in myself, and thinking I'm gonna throw 31's under it. It's not my daily driver, so I will cut, chop, manipulate anything if I need to.

Please pitch your two cents about anything here. I'd like to wheel harder, but I'll admit I know very little about building a rig for wheeling. So tell me anything, I'd like to learn, and it will all be appreciated.
(lifting, motor mods, cooling system, anything important)

Thank you in advance
dave.

88 4.0 cheif btw.

Actually,

You asked a big question, I might suggest just looking at othe r threads and doing some searches. There is alot of info here to be learned about XJs. Sounds like your ready to have some fun.

mark
orgs mfg

for wheelin hard on 3" with 31"s you'll have to trim fenders a bit. I think. Some good articles around about trimming. Who is it? Madxj.com or Cheapxj.com that has an article about that. I dont remember.

Will I need new shocks? If so, what should I be looking at?

i'm a begginer too. i have never really posted too many times. just about any question you have can be answered by doing a search of previous threads. jsut type in key words. i have gotten plenty of help that way.

the_cheif said:
Will I need new shocks? If so, what should I be looking at?

You will need new shocks; your stock ones will be almost completely extended with the 3" BB. There's been a few threads about the stock lengths and upgraded ones, of course I never saved those links.

If its the Rough Country lift, you will need to trim. Mine sagged an inch after alot of wheeling but after some trimming I loved it. It had insane flex for that size of a lift, I could stuff stock tires after a budget boost and TJ flares. You will need shocks, and a new rear breakline, a Dakota breakline is perfect. You can just relocate the front brakelines like this . After you install it just disconect your sways and go wheelin and see where it rubs, then just trim and you are set. Good Luck

31" tires should fit on a 3" lift as long as the wheels have backspacing of 3.5" at most.

Back