• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serious brake problems

jct9335

NAXJA Forum User
i have an '89 xj with the crappy abs system. recently, the power booster on the passenger side firewall has been getting pretty loud when it activates. i really wasn't too concerned because my brakes worked as good as ever. well today i was driving through houston and my "check antilock" and e-brake lights came on. i figured i would pull over to check it out. when i applied the brakes, i found out that i had completely lost power brakes. so i get home and pop the hood. when i use a hammer to hit the booster, it will come on and be koud as hell. but it won't stay on. i'll have power brakes for about 10 minutes before i lose 'em again. my question is this, i read somewhere on here that the '89 jeeps had such a bad brake system that chrysler implemented a lifetime warranty on the components. is this true, and if so, will my problem be covered in the warranty?? since i had no money to spare, this would be a huge convenience.

I can't answer the warentee question, but what I will say is that as long as you have to change the heart of the braking system you might as well ditch that ABS, you know how bad it is in those years!

While you're at it, instead of getting an '89 Booster/Master Cylinder get one for a '95, that way it's the larger dual diaphram booster, works better. Also, adjust your drums (makes a big difference!) and bleed the system and you should be good to go...

Sequoia

Back