• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower support arms removal

Kenny 96 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a case of severe DW on my truck recently. I had some DW in the past but not to the point that made the truck dangerous to drive on pavement.

I've changed the front Shocks, coils, steering damper, track bar & Brakets, balanced the tires but the problem seams to be getting worse...

I now have the intention to replace the lower control arms. But I've not been able to remove the rear frame/arm bolts. The front arm/axle bolt comes right out with one hand. But the rear bolt is so tight in the rubber bushing that I can't move it at all! I've lubricated it, hammered it, unscrewed it, etc... without succes.

Is there a trick to replace these arms? I'm thinking of using some carpenter's clamps to push out the bolt next... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Your caster is waaayy out of spec. Basically you front axle is leaning (rolling) to far forward. Need to get longer (control) arms underneath that beast to alleviate that rolling forward problem. Then get it aligned my a reputable shop to set it correctly. Adjustable arms are the way to go, gives the tech more to work with for finite adjustments. HTH!

I agree that I would start with castor.

You do not need longer arms with a 4" lift but you will need them to be shimed (the lower control arms are adjustable at the rear frame mount with shims).

Take it to a good alignment shop and have them align it (including castor). If the problem persists then let us know.

Michael

The problem is that I've been asking for an alignment for a while but each time I go to the shop, they ask me to change another part before they do the alignment.

This time it is the lower control arms. They say that the bushings are way too loose on them and they have to be replaced before the alignment can be done. My problem is that I can't remove them. When I unscrew the rear bolt with the strong bar, I go as far as a ¼ turn against the rubber. But when I let it go, it turns back into the original place.

And another concern is will I be able to put the new one back on there if I'm having so much trouble taking them off?

get a big piece of steel, shield anything flamable, and burn it out. make sure you dont have any fuel leaks.

Back