• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking Brake Light

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I have 91' 4.0L and yesterday when I was driving around, my parking brake light came on for no apparent reason. I checked my owners manual and it said that there is a brake problem but did not specify what the problem was. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone before and if so, what was the problem? I have a 500 mile road trip back to school tomorrow so I need to take care of the problem if it is serious ASAP. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

The BRAKE light is triggered by the parking brake being on, or the switch on the prop valve detecting a pressure imbalance between front and rear brake lines.

If you're sure that the switch on the ebrake is good and releasing properly, you've probably got a leak somewhere.

Low brake fluid will do that, or a stuck parking brake like ChiXJeff said. Make sure you've got a full master cylinder and that the brakes are bled well.

Back