• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing exterior mirrors

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
okay I have damaged the mirrors on my 88 (non-electric) does anyone know if you can by a block off plate for these and then moun the door mount ones like some of the commanches? I tow a couple of different trailers and would like something a little better with swing in capable?? John

Back when your '88 was new you could order an XJ with the door-mount towing mirrors. The same parts fit the XJ and the MJ, since they are the same doors. However, I don't think either the mirrors or the blank-off plates will be available from DaimlerChrysler any more, so you're probably going to have to hit the junkyards for the plates, and go after-market for the mirrors.

checked at the dealership not very helpful. but drove by another XJ today had them, will check further found decent mirrors at PEP Boys

My FSM shows a big plate in the doors to reinforce the mirror bolts. It's not a bad idea to use them, looking at the dimpled skins on my F150 from the Walmart mirrors I put on it.

In my old Courier I mounted those types of mirrors you get on MJ's and XJ's (only the aftermarket variety). To distribute the force I just used two 14" pieces of light steel with tapped holes in them that lined up to the mirror brackets. After doing that I was able to move the mirror without adversly affecting the door skin. Two years later they were still fine, even after picking up the whole door from the ground just by grabbing the mirror! (don't ask...)

Sequoia

Back