• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

could 84 Cluster fit 90

FATBOY

NAXJA Forum User
Can a Cherokee Instrument Cluster with Tach off an 84 xj work on my 90 xj. I have a base 4.0 atx 4x4 w/ only speed and gas tach.

FATBOY said:
Can a Cherokee Instrument Cluster with Tach off an 84 xj work on my 90 xj. I have a base 4.0 atx 4x4 w/ only speed and gas tach.

I think the electrical connections will mate up, but the speedo cable is different. Since I don't think the two speedos are physically the same, you can't swap your speedo into the "new" cluster, so that means you'll need to buy an '84 speedo cable to make it work.

If your cluster has idiot lights, you will also need to swap the temp sender (the one in the back of the head, driver's side) and the oil pressure sender.

Actualle there is more than just the spedo cable.....

I am in the prosecc of swaping in a 94 wireing harness into my 84. There are two plugs for the instrament cluster in my 84 and both of them are what I call ribbon type plugs. The 94 harness has only on ribbon type of plug. So at some point there was a swap in plugs for the guage cluster. Of course I have an 84 and am going to a 94 wiring, engine, etc.

Re: Actualle there is more than just the spedo cable.....

Ghost said:
I am in the prosecc of swaping in a 94 wireing harness into my 84. There are two plugs for the instrament cluster in my 84 and both of them are what I call ribbon type plugs. The 94 harness has only on ribbon type of plug. So at some point there was a swap in plugs for the guage cluster. Of course I have an 84 and am going to a 94 wiring, engine, etc.

That change comes in 91 when they changed to an electronic speedo.

I think the 94-90 swap should work as long as the donor vehicle is a V-6.

So, the 84 will work in XJ's up till 90 and

I need a 91 and up for mine to work! Hmm, so my guage cluster will work in any XJ up to 90 then?

the speedo cable end changed in 87

yours will go into any 84-86, early 87s.

you can swap the cable to make it work in an 88-90.

or do what I did. jam the fawking cable on until the plastic breaks. It ain't goin anywhere :D

Back