• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance Distributors

MassbayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I spent $200 (that I didn't really have) and two hours installing that "Firepower" ignition kit yesterday and I am less than pleased. Has anybody else tried this kit? It works fine but thats just it, It runs exactly the same . The kit says to gap the plugs(Champion) to .065" but the biggest I could do was .045" with my tool. I was kind of skeptical of .065" anyway even though I run 89 or higher. I meant to call the company but lost the number right now. Is .02" going to make a huge difference? or should I try new (different) plugs? Please help me as I am subject to much torment from my GM teacher and Ford friends......

aw man.... I really don't want to lose to the F-250 with the 460 . tomorrow.. new plugs...

plug gap can make a big difference. However if it runs ok now, I would doubt that you would find incredible performance from that much larger gap.

In general, the stock ignition on the jeep is pretty darn good. general concensus is that without major internal mods on the engine hot ignition probably will not see that much gains.

Either way, you need to re-gap to the correct gap.

Michael

i have the firepower kit and i run .060 gap and run 89 gas, i used to spark knock on 89 but now doesn't, the only real change i have seen.

I have the "Firepower" ignition coil with PD's distributor cap and rotor w/ MSD wires. I run Champion truck plugs with the recommended gap. I don't think I acheived any gains from this mod and wished I waited to do this mod last. On the upside, the cap and rotor have brass terminals and the MSD wires seem better constructed than stock; though I wish I bought Magnecor wires. If I can put anything on it that I believe is HD I feel a little better. Lessons learned my friend.

Back