• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon VS. Rockkrawler lift help

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have been debating weather to go with Rubicon Express or Rockkrwler for my 4.5" lift. I have been comparing prices as far as their kits and what you would have to buy, parts wise, in addition to get "equal" kits from each company. Here is what I have come up with....

RE 4.5 comes with:

2 4.5" coil springs
2 3.5" leaf packs
2 1.5" shackles
2 Fixed upper control arms
2 Fixed lower control arms
1 Adjustable Track Bar
1 pair of sway bar disconnects
3 extended brake lines
1 Transfer case lowering kit

Needed in addition to the kit: (to do it right)

4 shocks
2 shims
1 SYE
1 CV driveshaft
1 Dropped pitman arm

The total is around $1480 plus S/H

RK 4.5 kit comes with:

2 4.5 coil springs
2 4.5 leaf packs
2 Adjustable upper control arms
2 Adjustable lower control arms
1 Adjustable track bar
2 Sway bar disconnects
2 shims

Needed in addition to kit: (to do it right)

1 Transfer case lowering kit
1 dropped pitman arm
3 brakelines
1 SYE
1 CV driveshaft

The total is around $1700 plus s/h

Now, if any of you have personal experinece with these products I would like some input as to the pros and cons of each kit please. So far I am leaning toward the rockkrawler kit due to the fact that they use 4.5 leafs in back (not 3.5's with shackles).....that way I will have the option of added shackles to add another inch or 2 if I decide to go higher. Another reason is the kit comes with adjustable upper and lower control arms....again, allowing easy adjustment if going another inch or so higher of lift in the future. I, however, don't want to sacrifice quality either. So if there are certain things about the rockkrawler that are not that appealing (like if the joints they use are weak, welds don't hold, stock material is too weak, etc) I would like to know since I have no experience.

I appreciate your help guys.

2001XJ

I have the RE 5.5" kit. I have no personal experience with the RK kit, but I've read a lot of posts from people who had numerous problems with parts breaking. I would suggest getting the RE 5.5" kit, because it uses drop brackets for the LCA's. The control arms are fixed, but to go much higher than 5.5" you need to address a lot of steering issues. I chose this kit because I don't want to go any higher, as it allowed me to clear 33's with little trimming, and could very easily clear 35's with more trimming. The kit netted me closer to 6.5" of lift. If you are thinking about going higher before you even get the kit, just get the bigger kit in the first place. Check out Dirk at http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
He will price match anyone, and has lots of experience with 97+ XJ's.

I've read a lot of posts from people who had numerous problems with parts breaking
Im sure you could just as many if not more posts from people who have broken RE parts.

Ijust put a rk 6.5 long arm on this weak and havn't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. I don't see how any of their parts could break because the arms are made from SOLID stock. The company rep did tell me on the phone that the kit will flex so well that they have had people rip the oem lower controll arm brackets off the axle.

By the way the rock krawler kit comes with brake lines and a pitman arm

Just a small note, you only use a sye or a t-case drop kit, don't need both. At your height, get a sye.
Also, as for the strength of the rockkrawler kit it is the contol arms on the long-arm kit that people have had problems with. I have no peronal experience with the rockkrawler long-arm products, but from what i can gather from a fair amount of research is that there is a lot of stress from running a "torque arm" on one side instead of both. The solid arms have nothing to do with it because the two common places of breakage are on the long arms where the joint attaches to the arm and on the axle bracket. Anyways, none of those things will affect you because they are specific to the long-arm kit.
I agree with CStamm, go with the 5.5" RE kit. The control arm drop brackets will give a much better ride than the 4.5" kit, and 4.5" is also about the highest you should go without the control arm drop brackets. Talk to Dirk at DPG off-road, he'll hook you up with a good price and has good customer service as well.

THE_OWL said:
Im sure you could just as many if not more posts from people who have broken RE parts.

Not likely.

I've yet to see an RE arm that has just destructed on the highway...

I must Say RK has improved the design and execution of their kits...

If you look at the track record of both companies (# of lifts sold and run) I think the ratio of happy customers is higher with RE...

RK just doesn't come close to the volume RE does and they had such bad luck early on. Give them a few years and I think they'll be a well respected player in the Jeep market...

I'll admit I have an aversion to them as I have two friends who have been in accidents directly related to RK parts failure....but as I've said, they've redesigned some of the bad things and seem to be trying.

That's the RE6130 right? Installed that a month ago, and would recommend getting a credit for the swaybar discos and t-case drop. You can swap the 3.5" leaves and shackles for a 4.5" spring pack as well, RE is very flexible about that. You forgot to note that you will need shocks with the RK kit, but you knew that, right?

With a SYE and CV Driveshaft you don't need the t-case drop. Get JKS swaybar discos if you elect to get any. I upgraded to the Heavy-Duty Trackbar and mount, and later popped out a few extra bucks for the tackbar mount brace - for some reason that's not on their site though.

I did a writeup of the install at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html - I need to review that again now that I've had it a month and also correct the links for the SYE and the Drop Brackets that will be going on shortly.

I seem to remember when RE came out in 1996 or so.
They had a Few "issues" as well. Maybe you werent in the Jeep scene then but it will take R&D to make a good product better.
RK problems ar with the Long arms only right?
How long have the RE XJ long arms been out?
\\hoot

Mister hoot. Maybe you haven't been around for long enough. RE has put out a good quality product from day one. Their quality and design have always been very good. The only weakness they had was in the very beginning when they used heim joints on the control arms, which tended to wear out quickly.

RK has had both design and quality issues, and like someone refered to, there have been some accidents relating to their products. From what I gather they are good people, and are improving both design and quality, but at this time it is hard to do anything but recomend the RE product based on reputation.

Regarding issues with the RK long control arms....I don't plan to use them anyway since I will never go higher than 6" max. However, by chance it I were to get long arms in the future, I would do some research at that point and see what to go with (maybe by that time RK will be the rave or maybe RE will still be the recommendation, or even rusty's). For those of you who recommended the RE 5.5 for the ride quality, I would go with that but money is an issue. Also, that is why I say, I MIGHT go higher in the future...money issue. If I could, I would go with your recommendations and go higher to begin with :) Also, charlesd22 mentioned pitman arm and brakelines come with RK's kit, that is news to me. On their website they don't mention that and show the pitman arm and brakelines as needed accessories. If that is the case it will make the RK kit a little more appealing pricewise also.

thanks for the relplies guys, keep em' coming

2001XJ

speaking from personal experience go with the RE kit. my RK long arm torque arm broke in the parking lot. RK hasn't put enough R&D into their products and i wouldn't count on them. RE has proven, solid parts that you can count on and im sure everyone on the board will tell you that. just my .02

lincoln

How are you getting everything with the RE 4.5" kit to come to $1480?

I come up with:

$870 kit
$220 shocks
$180 SYE
$250 CV driveshaft
$80 stablizer

$1600

Is there a cheaper place to get this stuff? Am I missing something?

Curt

THE_OWL said:
Mr Goat. So youre saying: The only weakness was a design flaw that didnt work correctly ?

Underestimating the ability of a 3/4" rod end to live long under the forces exerted on lower control arms is a little different than under-engineered or poorly built suspension parts coming apart. The rod ends didn't fail, just wore out prematurely, and RE made deals with many, many people to upgrade.

The original question deserves a realistic answer based on our collective personal experience, which I think he got.

Back