• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

it's only money, what the heck... lookout moab- here we come.....

eshel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
the new center-force clutch, along with installing all new syncronizer gears, only set us back another $1,300.00 on top of the $600.00 for doctor bills over the last 3 weeks... but what the heck, friends are worth a lot more than money, and so is my wife's happiness- she was extremely disappointed when i told her that we just cannot afford the extra $1,000 for the trip.
BUT, we're rollin' out this coming saturday mornin', and i'm lookin' forward to seein' all y'all.
i'm still really in dismay about the shifting problems i'm havin'... even after all that's been done, she still grinds every once and a while in going into 2nd gear, and also going into 3rd gear???????????? every gear in the transmission looks absolutely brand new- my mechanic/friend also says that there is absolutely zero sign of wear on any of the gears, and cannot understand how it's possible that i'm still having the same problem. maybe someone else has experienced (and hopefully cured) this same problem... maybe i'll just get 'bones' to fix it when we get there; or my old friend scott mac. hi hi !!
shalom aleichem everyone,
eshel & pam

Hey, it's good to see you have your priorities in order! ;)

eshel said:
she still grinds every once and a while in going into 2nd gear, and also going into 3rd gear???????????? every gear in the transmission looks absolutely brand new
How did the shift forks look? A little wear on one can make it hard to get a gear completely engaged. The bushings on the shifter can do the same thing. There is one that the lever pivots on and another one at the end of the shifter.

Eshel,

Did you look at the clutch pedal and the rod it attaches to? After three new clutches and flywheel (grinding in 1st, sometimes in 2nd) I was still having a grinding issue during shifting. Well, my pedal broke at the beginning of Metal Masher trail in Moab. Had a shop in Moab reweld the rod the pedal attaches to and couldn't believe the difference. They told me the manufacturer only spot welds these in two places......to fix it, they welded all the way around. The bottom line is that the rod had bent some and when I depressed the clutch in it wasn't going all the way. Something to look at.

Glad you guys are coming to Moab. All the best.

Tom

Wow.

Are you guys talking about the Pugeot 5 speed?!

I am so glad that I decided not to rebuild it!!

Are you STILL havin problems?

I converted to a 96' AX5 last summer for very close to $600 including the tranny with 30k mi out of a wrecked wrangler AND a new clutch!

It was a pretty easy swap, It was a little hard to find a pressure fitting the right size for the newer style, PLASTIC slave line. I wasn't about to replace the entire slave cylinder setup like jeep stealers tell you is the only way. the newer setups are sealed from the factory, slave master, the plastic line, and the slave cylinder are all a seal unit. I went to Bumber to Bumper and they had JUST the slave cylinder. so I took that, went to the junkyard and found the right fitting on, (now I'm not proud of this but it was the only vehical in the entire junkyard that had the right piece) A 80 somthin 2wd 4 cylinder ford ranger! You need the end and a short piece of the line do bring a cutter for the ford.

The hardest thing was changin the input gear on the T case to accept the 23 spline of the newer tranny. It wasn't that big of a deal though if you have ever been in a Tcase, its a piece of cake.
You can use the same flywheel you had before. (long as it was a manual)

After that small task, your golden!

If you just look at the size of the peugot campaired to the AX5 it looks like a go-cart POS tranny next to a real mans 1 ton truck tranny

Main reason for swap: tranny shop guy said a fresh rebuilt pugeot can be easily launched in under 3000 miles, now I donno but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about more then anyone else...all the tranny shops in the local area send him their pugeot rebuilds because he has done so many.

I don't like autos, and I don't like the tranny spittin out of 5th gear on the highway and sending what sounded like all of the gears together, heh.

had to take out the driveshaft to get it home that day...

It All started for My XJ when the tranny went at 90k miles

While my XJ was sick with trannyitis, it recieved the rather large list of components found below and a couple more. :)

I look back now and realize I have a sickness of my own!

During durability testing on my new tranny, I :explosion my rear axle yoke hitting second gear. why did they ever go to those stupid strap style Yokes anyways?!! cheaper?! nice 5/16 bolts -junk
After the ubolt style yoke was on there, when I hit second gear my 36's get sideways, way sideways. :D

The AX5 gets my durability approval!!

That´s so good that you guys can make it. I still remember your face: Whatssisgermanguydoingwithhisrental? And then we had a great time. And we will have one. Again.

Hagen

All right Eshel! Lets do some wheelin. See ya'll there. We are leaving Saturday morning also and are going to try to make Albuquerque to spend the night. Want to Jeep-o-van?

Back