• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Xj To Moab

Casper

NAXJA Forum User
Here you go,
A while back I welded the rear spiders together on my D35, and when I hooked it up to tow it behind my wife's ZJ, it was all over the road. Nearly had a bad wreck. Well I called 4 Wheel supply, and they told me the problem was the welded rear. So today I installed an EZ locker, the one simular to Lock-Rite. I have not tried it yet, but they claim it will fix the problem completely. Can anyone add any help to this. Time is getting short.

Thanks,
Casper

Casper

Dont know about towing with welded diff but I have no problems tiowing mine with a detroit so the EZ lokcer should be similar.

When you towed the jeep did the steering wheel center it self around corners? One important thing is to make sure you have enough caster so the steering wheel will center. I only made 50 ft on my first try at flat towing before the jeep wanter to go right while I wanted to go left. But once the caster was adjuxted every thing worked out fine.

Casper,

Since there isn't any torque going throught the drive shaft a locker will act similar to an open diff. Gives the ablility for one tire to spin faster than the other.

When hit a dip in the road with one tire (doesn't need to be much) that tire needs to speed up to stay even with the opposite side. A welded diff doesn't provide that so it will pull a little. While driving you probably just steer through it, but when towing the rig it creates a nasty pull.

Lincoln

Back