• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tail lights

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok, Wranglers get cool diamond plate rear corner guards, you can even trick them out with nice LEDs. Does anyone know where someone could pick up a set of these for the xj, or does anyone know and other trick tiallights beyond euro tails?
thanks guy and dolls.
Greg

Don't know of any that are commercially available, but several members have made up their own sheet metal boxes to replace the taillights, and installed LED lights from truck supply places. There are photos -- I know everyone hates to be told to try a search, but "Try a search" -- I'd guess you could search on LED and taillights and get a hit.

There is also the Altezzers or what ever they are called avaliable if that sort of thing rocks your boat! Have pictures and links on my write up on fitting Wagoneer taillights.

As far as I know there is nothing currantly on the market for the XJ. Many people have built their own corner gaurds, including myself, to allow for the use of common truck / trailer light applications. The wiring is fairly simple if you know anything about wiring. The hard part is forming the metal so that it conforms to the body right. Here's a pic of what mine look like from behind.

Matt

standard.jpg

I had the same idea, but I didn't have the money or rice appetite for altezzas, and can't work metal into the custom box shite. So you can always do the gto type blackouts for the rears, but at over 50 bones for a couple plastic covers is ridiculous. So I got my own idea. I picked up some stuff called "Fade Shade" at the local Murray's parts shop. It is like a roll of silver stuff that you can put on the top of your windshield. I did this, but then got the idea on how to use all the excess. I covered the amber part of the tailights and the third brakelight with it. Now they have a silver metallic look, but when I hit the brakes or turn signals, they shine right through. They're cheap, but don't look that bad. You heard it here first folks, send royalties to me. ;)

I prefer function over form, not that aluminum foil on my tailights isn't tempting. :rolleyes:

goodjeeppic.jpg

They're 3 x 5 x 3/16 tubing, alot stouter than plastic & cheaper too.

I use L.E.d bulbs 1357 in OEM tail lights and I bought the coolest SPOILER

On E-bay the coolest spoiler for Cherokees 97 and up for 140 bucks. It hsa 40 L.E.D's in high mount stop light...It is so bright so when you step on the brks you could see what's behind you...:)
Spoiler fits perfectly on the top of rear hatch and loocks KILLER GOOD
That is my story......

Recently I noticed that Circuit City is selling "Street Racer" parts near their car audio section. Among the items were replacement LED bulbs in standard sizes. I took note due to the lifespan of LED's, but stopped short of buying. It looks like it would fit through the hole of the XJ taillight socket, but I was not sure if they would look any different inside stock taillight enclosures. I see they make the Altezza replacements in a smoke tinted style if bright chrome isn't your thing, but they are rather pricey IMO. Go to Ebay and do a search of XJ Cherokee and you should be able to find them, along with several pages of other goodies I never knew existed before.

vintage - good call on the box... i think i may just have to make some new tails now. :D

Back