• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast Idle After Mod

JEEPERCREEPER

NAXJA Forum User
Any body have an answer or idea. I just replaced the fresh air box on my 89 6 cylinder. I put a nice K&N cone filter on the end of the air tube (using a stainless steel connector tube), rerouted and reconnected the vacuum line into the tube and also the line from the canister, disconnected the heat riser tube (not using), cleaned the throttle plate and opening, etc. It made a nice difference in power and throttle responce. My problem is the idel is way high (like 1200+ RPM's) and will not go down. It was fine before the modification. Is there a way to adjust the idel or does anyone have an idea what's happened? Does something else need to be changed or adjusted? Thanks guys!

I just had a similar problem with the exception that my idle RPM was about 2000 and I did not put on the K&N mod. Simply put, the stepper motor may still have black soot on it. This was my problem. I pulled out the motor from the side of the throttle body and cleaned it. It runs about 400 now. Very nice. Check out this link. It has all the info. Well I hope this helps.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/tbody.htm

My '89 had a na-a-asty throttle body. After removing it, I couldn't believe it ran so well that way. The stepper was so completely covered in about 1/8" of buildup that it couldn't possibly seat correctly. That & the throttle plates being horrible, top & bottom. I dunked it in the solvent tank & cleaned the hell out of it.

Did you disconnect the battery at the same time by any chance? If you did it will take a little why for the computer to reset all the parameters and the idle seems to be the last one:rolleyes:

Back