• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak or Savvy NV241OR Shifter??

zaroot

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished swapping a Rubi case into my 96 XJ AX15, and there was no way to get the factory 231 Z linkage to work. The 231 lever swings from the bottom, and the 241 is from the top. I even tried fabricating a new adjustable linkage rod with some heims and threaded rod I had, but I can only get 2H/4H/N or 4H/N/4L. The factory bracket is janky with worn bushings so I think I’m going to have to swallow the heartburn and order one of these snazzy cable shifters.

The Novak SK3XR and the Savvy Offroad SAV-241S appears to be identical. Savvy is $10 less, and offers free shipping. Any advice on which one is better, if there even is a difference? Any discount codes for NAXJA, Pirate, Jeep, or Cherokee forums?

Thanks

6512557a6b40e743719d1f0b2cb29140.jpg

b1c98eea216bcbc0a76c1e6e227a0162.jpg

ad47b7ed43f73b75f3e0b87538d07111.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Novak’s Website, they are comparing their shifter to the “Competitor’s”. Is that Savvy’s cable on the left??

aed0cd3185989ad4b06f90f280eeb678.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i use the novak , top quality for sure, 10.00 difference i would buy the novak at least you know what you are getting. never heard of the other brand. does boostwerks make a shifter linkage setup for that tc conversion ? would be cheaper.

I'm curious why you couldn't get the factory shifter to work? I put a 241OR in my '95 with zero issues with the stock linkage!

I have had problems with my 231 in the past becoming disengaged. I know the plastic bushings are all worn. That combined with the rust just makes me want to get a fresh setup

well nothing like a fresh new upgrade on your rig so understood

I am running the Novak cable shifter with my 241OR, and couldn't be happier. Novak's support is excellent, and when I added a Black Box, they were able to custom build a cable 8" longer. It also works perfectly.

David Bricker / SYR - YYZ

Was the speedo plug and play? I understand it doesn't use the gears as the standard 231 does for speed. Apologize for the noob question. Also where did you source your 241 from? They pull a MAJOR premium in my area

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Was the speedo plug and play? I understand it doesn't use the gears as the standard 231 does for speed. Apologize for the noob question. Also where did you source your 241 from? They pull a MAJOR premium in my area

It depends on the age of the 241OR and the year of the XJ. Mine was semi-plug and play. I had to change the plug connector, and wrie accordingly. The 241OR 2006 and earlier still have an electronic speedo. In the 2007 and later (JK), they went to a speed sensor in the front wheel hub, so there was no speedo gear in the T-case.

My XJ is a '95. Earlier XJs with mechanical speedos won't connect, and I believe later models will work with no changes to the wiring.

You may need to change the gears to compensate for tire size.

did mine 6 months ago, the speedo wiring just took some resplicing from the eom xj wires at the tc to the plug in for the 241 , but the speedo was way off, as in running too fast . had to get a JET brand speedo convertor box. speedo is now perfect. the source is the thing, i was lucky to get one from a forum member who had bought 2 at once yrs ago, he used one & sold me the other one . it was from a 06 ruby tj w, 85 k on it. had it shipped from NM to MD. got a good deal, but i had found quite a few others just mo money 1800- 2200 was the range. the jk ones dont have a speedo output signal, stick w/ a tj one.

It depends on the age of the 241OR and the year of the XJ. Mine was semi-plug and play. I had to change the plug connector, and wrie accordingly. The 241OR 2006 and earlier still have an electronic speedo. In the 2007 and later (JK), they went to a speed sensor in the front wheel hub, so there was no speedo gear in the T-case.

My XJ is a '95. Earlier XJs with mechanical speedos won't connect, and I believe later models will work with no changes to the wiring.

You may need to change the gears to compensate for tire size.

Well my 94 YJ has the VSS for the speedo (not the older gear type) which worked with the T cases' speed sensor and I got a 2005 241OR, 35" tires and 4.10 gears and when it was all said and done my seedometer is dead on. I lucked out? Here's the switches I used.
3490866d1507328680-i-think-i-broke-my-ccard-20171006_144329.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the info y'all! Sounds like it should be a simple swap. I've been on the hunt for one for a year or so... Maybe I'll find the deal I need soon! 4 to 1 would be nice

Thanks for all the info!
I talked to Boostwerks and they said they couldn't confirm if their kit would work or not, and relayed me to Novak, which led me to starting this post.

I saw their setup and since the 241 already has the selector upward, it's really just the piece that bolts onto the bottom of the cab shifter, and then the linkage between (which I kind of already made myself). The problem is how bad that angle is, looks like it would definitely bind up.

VSS shares the same 3 wire & color as the 231, but the plugs are different. Since there are no TJ's in the jy's local to me, I am just going to get weathertight spade connectors and splice wire to wire.

I am into my case $510
$400 pickup (had fill plug alum boss broken off)
$95 for two new 32spline 1310 CV yokes from Advanced Adapters
$10 for a aluminum weld in bung/stainless hex plug for fill port
$5 for two qts. of ATF

Bearings and chain seemed tight, fluid looked clean, so I just bolted it in. Jeep does move under it's own power, just fighting this shifter linkage.

The only modification I needed to do was notch the trans mount plate, that bolts to the bottom of the AX15. The girth on the input side of the 241 is much larger than the 231, and the bottom bolt wasn't even close to clearing.

Well my 94 YJ has the VSS for the speedo (not the older gear type) which worked with the T cases' speed sensor and I got a 2005 241OR, 35" tires and 4.10 gears and when it was all said and done my seedometer is dead on. I lucked out? Here's the switches I used.
3490866d1507328680-i-think-i-broke-my-ccard-20171006_144329.jpg

I somewhat misspoke when I said earlier models. I'm not sure of the year break, but I'm guessing about 91 and later are OK, earlier would be geared.

Back