• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission pan bolt stripped

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
looks like someone cross threaded 3 bolts for my trans pan. Anyone know what size bolt is used in the pan? Was thinking maybe try a slightly longer bolt or if I am lucky use a long bolt and a nut on the other side but I can't remember now if that is possible on the aw4. It is in a 97 xj.

Buy a Heli-Coil thread repair kit and fix it right.

That was my first thought but one of the 3 bolts is on the front (other 2 on rear) and I am not sure how well I can get in there with a drill and tap with the exhaust in the way. That and I need to know the bolt size for the appropriate kit.

That was my first thought but one of the 3 bolts is on the front (other 2 on rear) and I am not sure how well I can get in there with a drill and tap with the exhaust in the way. That and I need to know the bolt size for the appropriate kit.
With a helicoil the bolt will be the original bolt. You can score a kit for probably less than $20 local, and even less if you go Amazon or ebay. All you do is drill the original hole with the larger bit included in the kit. You then tap the hole using the included tap. Then you screw the insert into the hole using the included tool. Presto, you are done. Most kits contain several inserts. It only takes a few minutes, can be done from the outside without pulling the pan, and will be better than new and transparent to any future people working on the transmission.

m6x1.0x12. Slightly longer bolts worked well enough without needing to tap and helicoil it. Luckily those threads go further into the holes. Problem is after cleaning the pan up real good I realized that even with the borked bolts fixed it was still leaking. Turns out I'm leaking from the trans pan plug. Ordered another drain pain plug and washer at Oriellys supposed to be around 1. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that they plugs are made in such a way that supposedly they fail before the threads in the pan do so that you don't have to drill and tap them out.

m6x1.0x12. Slightly longer bolts worked well enough without needing to tap and helicoil it. Luckily those threads go further into the holes. Problem is after cleaning the pan up real good I realized that even with the borked bolts fixed it was still leaking. Turns out I'm leaking from the trans pan plug. Ordered another drain pain plug and washer at Oriellys supposed to be around 1. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that they plugs are made in such a way that supposedly they fail before the threads in the pan do so that you don't have to drill and tap them out.

correct. The plug will strip before the pan. Always use a new gasket.

Back