PDA

View Full Version : Will '93 Wrangler 4.0 swap straight into '91 XJ?

BALTANAKT
November 28th, 2017, 11:14
Just checking before I pull the trigger on a motor.

Thanks!

bigdaddyjlove
November 28th, 2017, 14:26
Are you just swapping the long block? If so, yes it will fit fine. If you are swapping everything, then I think it should work, but I can't be certain.

BALTANAKT
November 28th, 2017, 18:56
Yes, just the block, thanks!

Also wondering:

- I've aways had my heads decked when replacing head gasket. It seems this is not common procedure with the 4.0?
- Is it easiest to remove the whole package (motor, trans, t-case) as a whole, or just the motor alone? Will be doing this alone.

cruiser54
November 29th, 2017, 04:42
Just the engine.

Only radiator needs to be removed.

When unbolting the engine mounts, do it at the frame. Leave the crossbolts in.

ehall
November 29th, 2017, 07:48
The engine is the same. Couple of electronic pieces are probably different (injector or a sensor or something). Look up the interchange on rockauto or just move your parts over.

bigdaddyjlove
November 29th, 2017, 08:08
Yes, just the block, thanks!

Also wondering:

- I've aways had my heads decked when replacing head gasket. It seems this is not common procedure with the 4.0?
- Is it easiest to remove the whole package (motor, trans, t-case) as a whole, or just the motor alone? Will be doing this alone.

I've done it both ways. If you are by yourself, I would recommend just pulling the motor. The 4.0/AW4/Tcase is a LONG assembly. It gets difficult to pick it up far enough back to not drop the Tcase on the ground.

BALTANAKT
November 30th, 2017, 08:00
Thanks fellas.

Hoping for good December weather.