• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What causes a long-start?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
This is on my friends XJ:

'00 with reman 0630 head (still using the original distributor-less ignition)
New fuel pump
New injectors
New plugs
New wires
New waterpump/thermostat/hoses
New radiator
New O2 sensors (cat still intact)

Keying on/off a couple times prior to starting doesn't affect it. Still has a long start (indicating to me that its NOT a fuel pressure issue).

Hot/cold doesn't really change much. Always takes the same time to crank over... 5-10sec.

What else can cause a long start condition like this? I don't really want to get him to just start throwing money at sensors... but I'm not sure where to start.

Besides the fact that a 2k doesn't have spark plug wires....................
Until you put up some fuel pressure numbers????????????

Haha oops. My bad. Was just looking at my receipts trying to make sure I didn't miss anything important... but the wires were for my XJ (98). You're correct, his has no wires.

I can try to get some numbers but his Jeep is 50km away from me right now... sooo... what else should I look for next time I'm out there getting these pressure numbers?

Also forgot to mention:
new timing chain and gears
new oil pump
0331-0630 exhaust adapter plate
new head studs

His XJ had the long start issue before the head swap and again afterwards

when its cranking is the rpm gauge jumping up a little bit? might be that the ecu is having trouble seeing the engine actually turning.

any check engine lights?

Try letting off the key after about 5 secs then try to start again after about a second. Any difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back