• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible wrong atf in AW4

PavementPrincess

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep cherokee 4.0 with aw4. Owners manual says to put in Dexron II or Mercon fluid. I used Castrol Transmax Dexron VI. It says it’s compatible for vehicles needing Dexron II but the. I read it’s for gm. They had Castrol Dexron/Merc on the shelf as well. Can anybody drop some knowledge on me and tell me the correct fluid I should be using? I’m hoping what I used is ok because I just changed the fluid and that would suck:( Here are pics of what I used. Also what the owners manual says I’m supposed to use. Thx in advance.
8999ee63c4f3b4768502b91d1800bda2.jpg
947ece31ae55b299fb1fa75ff7c63f84.jpg
e45f07c8d91dfea7d7469fa5445fe33f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should use the commonly available Dexron-III/Mercon. Some Cherokee owners report transmission slippage when using other transmission fluids. Dexron-VI is a synthetic ATF designed specifically for use in General Motors vehicles.

Drive it, and let us know what happens.

I’m gonna drain it tonight and refill and drive a week then drain and refill again. How many times should I do this to get a good mix of the right fluid? Also what brands do you guys reccomend. Here are a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back