• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix CPS fix option #2?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Well she (My Daughter in Co-Springs and her jeep) had a no start today. Second time in a month. Battery was a little low, 12.4 Volts, but held 10.6 Volts while cranking with a No spark (verified).

Her lowest AC volt meter range on her low cost HF meter is 200V, but the digital display did read 0.20 Volts on the CPS while cranking (disconnected). Reconnected it and she fired up, :) LOL, after many no starts last night and earlier today. So it must be a low signal Renix CPS issue.... as 0.50 volts is the OEM spec minimum per Cruiser54

I recently discovered a mod that I think words even better on the Renix CPS than the well known larger bolt holes.... It has worked twice for me, including on a new CPS I drilled out that was still weak with the bigger holes early this year, LOL.

Both times I took a BFH, a 3 ft steel bar-1/2" pipe and set it on the edge of the mounted CPS and rapped it a few times, pushing the sensor tip assy towards the back-rear of jeep (bends the bracket just a little) just a little and the signal nearly doubled :cheers: and stayed there!!!! This makes me think washers behind the sensor mount wings might do even more than the larger bolt holes trick.

Perhaps we have been moving the CPS down closer to the flex plate when we should have been moving it side ways, horizontal to the rear, or both? That may be lining it up better with the holes in the flex plates?

Last edited:
My CPS is dead in my 88. I've been contemplating the idea of supplying a electrical pulse to the CPS leads to strengthen the magnet. I've done it with old school generators with good results, the magnets get weak with age. The only thing holding me back from a trial is I have no idea how much voltage to use. Too little voltage is unlikely to do much, too much voltage may burn it up.

Just an idea, what do you think?

How many spare ECUs do you have?:laugh3:

How dead is it.

If it has even .10 VDC, try my BFH option first. My new one after the larger holes was only giving me about .20-.25 IIRC, BFH trick 4 whacks and it was .60. A pry tool will move it out too.

I wasted a lot of time trying capacitors ages ago. It was never consistent. I'd have more faith in a starter rewind to raise the cranking rpm, if that is possible?

My CPS is dead in my 88. I've been contemplating the idea of supplying a electrical pulse to the CPS leads to strengthen the magnet. I've done it with old school generators with good results, the magnets get weak with age. The only thing holding me back from a trial is I have no idea how much voltage to use. Too little voltage is unlikely to do much, too much voltage may burn it up.

Just an idea, what do you think?

Back