• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Heim joints for track bar?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
I will preface this by saying this is on a 3/4 ton Dodge....however the suspension and steering design is identical to our XJs.

About 40k miles ago I built a track bar for the truck, used a heim joint on the axle end, Johnny type joint on the frame end. Heim joint is showing a little play, which I feel is premature...but that is really my question, am I asking too much from a heim on a track bar?

Heim specs are...

Thread: Male 1 1/4-12 RH x 2.125" Long

Ball ID: 1"

Housing Material: 4130 Heat Treated Chrome Moly Steel

Finish: Bright Chrome Plated

Ball Finish: Hard Chrome Plated

Bearing Race: Slotted Nylon

Housing Width: 2.750"

Ball Thickness: 1.375"

Ultimate Static Load Rating: 50,843 lbs

So....opinions?

In my opinion a heim is the best joint for a track bar. However every heim joint isn’t made the same. You might want to try another brand. I use Barnes4wd heim joints on a trac bar on my xj and it has gone almost 2 years and 10k miles plus. Still tight. 40k seems pretty reasonable for a heim joint.

QA1 will have more expensive stuff but I don’t have any first hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you drive it on the road then go with something that has a bushing like a JJ. I had good Heims in the XJ for maybe 4000miles with a good bit of hard and easy trail runs. I started to have a thump that took me a bit to find. I could feel and hear it but i just couldnt lock it down. The bar had no play and even unbolting it i had no play in the eye. It was only after i had someone pull the jeep side to side and put my finger on the joint ball that i could feel the pop. I pulled them and have been running JJs have almost twice that mileage and a lot more trail time and its still solid. If Heims had a dust cover or some way to grease them it would prob never be a problem.

The ride was much better after installing JJs.

Last edited:
I went from Ruffstuff heims on my trackbar to FK and they are far superior. Expensive yes, but last a lot longer. I’m slowly changing all of my heims out for FK

Poly performance has a good price on FK heims.
Contact Mike James and tell him you are a part of naxja. Should get good price.

Another vote for FK especially the lined ones. I think frac bar is best place for heims. But I also think eliminating the bushing will stress brackets more so go ahead and tosss on some weld washers and any extra bracing you might need.

Another vote for FK especially the lined ones. I think frac bar is best place for heims. But I also think eliminating the bushing will stress brackets more so go ahead and tosss on some weld washers and any extra bracing you might need.
This was kind of what I was wondering...I'm fairly tempted to go back to a poly bushing on the axle end in hopes of preventing a more complicated failure. Just worried it'll wear out faster than the heim.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I think just doing weld washers will help a lot. But if your bracket has been loose or stressed before I’d look into beefing up a bit. I don’t think anything crazy is needed.

There are no heims on my Jeeps.

Good for you.

This was kind of what I was wondering...I'm fairly tempted to go back to a poly bushing on the axle end in hopes of preventing a more complicated failure. Just worried it'll wear out faster than the heim.

This is what I have, and it's worked out great. I have a 7/8" FK heim on the chassis side and a poly bushing on the axle. The bushing absorbs any shock loads that would quickly kill an all heim track bar. I recommend the same for suspension links as well.

Thanks everyone for the input.

If you are looking for a pair of the lined FK joints, I have a brand new set I am looking sell for cheap. PM me if you are interested.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1141291

Thanks for the offer, I think I'll be switching the axle end to a poly bushing when I get around to it.

Good for you.

This is what I have, and it's worked out great. I have a 7/8" FK heim on the chassis side and a poly bushing on the axle. The bushing absorbs any shock loads that would quickly kill an all heim track bar. I recommend the same for suspension links as well.

I run an all heim track bar and it’s been fine for years with the FK joints

I have sprayed some dry chain lube on mine before I go on a wheeling trip. Do you ever hit yours with some spray? I have a Barnes4wd joint so I don’t think it has a fancy Teflon liner. It is still dead quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ruff stuff heims on my tack bar, they didn't have much use or miles on them and i started getting a knocking noise from the front. Everything felt tight. I pulled the track bar and the high misalignment spacers inside the heim ball were wore out causing end play basically.

Called ruff stuff and they sent me a new set after sending them video s and pictures, never seen that issue before and no issues with the new ones so far.

I went with heims do to the fact i have always have issues with the stock style track bar and it limiting flex as well as not lasting due to the frame side mount always coming loose. Weld on brackets on each end and heim joints. No issue after 2 years of use.

The high end FK's are awesome, so I don't doubt it. The poly bushing will simply extend the life of the heim, not to mention that it's simply cheaper. Also In the track bar's application, a single heim is more than enough IMO. It simply allows the bar to twist a little without binding.

The entire life of 4643 it ran the same FK heims on the trackbar with no play.

Every time i have ever used a ruffstuff heim its been loose the first time i checked it.

The high end FK's are awesome, so I don't doubt it. The poly bushing will simply extend the life of the heim, not to mention that it's simply cheaper. Also In the track bar's application, a single heim is more than enough IMO. It simply allows the bar to twist a little without binding.

Agreed. They aren’t cheap and also aren’t necessary for most.

The entire life of 4643 it ran the same FK heims on the trackbar with no play.

Every time i have ever used a ruffstuff heim its been loose the first time i checked it.

I was not overly pleased after finding mine less than 5000 total miles maybe 10 wheeling trips.

They replaced them this time, but my next set will be FK

Back