• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box

freestyle81

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like my sector shaft is moving around a bit, time to replace and do some plating while it’s out. Anyone have one around before I start hitting up the junk yard or parts store?

Also going to be looking for some help plating the area while I have the box out of anyone has room and time.

What kind of "help" are you needing? Garage? Welder? or......?

Someone with knowledge how to best reinforce these things for the long term, I’m assuming welding is best option.

I will pickup any supplies needed and obviously pay for materials and time.

I like something like this. I put one on the RAM, and things felt much tighter. I mostly think that the second point of support for the sector shaft is a great idea.
e7f7735f4ce308486827b9287f3d0e6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I knew there was a preferred vendor, Synergy was the first to pop up. Shame.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've got the Dirtbound Offroad spacer and frame reinforcement on mine, but as said it won't really do anything to help the sector shaft. I'd love to run the Boostwerks setup on my rig (had the similar Synergy brace on my JK) but I'm pretty sure its not going to clear my winch with how I have it mounted.

I've got the Dirtbound Offroad spacer and frame reinforcement on mine, but as said it won't really do anything to help the sector shaft. I'd love to run the Boostwerks setup on my rig (had the similar Synergy brace on my JK) but I'm pretty sure its not going to clear my winch with how I have it mounted.

Dutch - your setup sounds like about what I need as well as swapping the box out.

My current box has a support coming off the passenger side frame rail, connecting just above the sector shaft.

I more worried about the existing beginnings of cracking in the unibody.

The nice thing about the Dirt Bound setup is there is no welding needed. If you do need help I can probably help you out, although I'm a bit of a drive from you.

What box are you going to get as a replacement? If you want to not have any play in the sector shaft, you'll need a PSC or similar box that uses needle bearings for the sector shaft.

Also, do not weld the steering spacer in place if this is what you're planning. The welds will make a stress riser and make it more likely to crack.

BTW, Dutch I have bearing and nut kit's if you wanted to fab your own at some point. :cheers:

What box are you going to get as a replacement? If you want to not have any play in the sector shaft, you'll need a PSC or similar box that uses needle bearings for the sector shaft.

Also, do not weld the steering spacer in place if this is what you're planning. The welds will make a stress riser and make it more likely to crack.

BTW, Dutch I have bearing and nut kit's if you wanted to fab your own at some point. :cheers:

Trying to keep it simple for replacement, Durango box or factory replacement.

Thanks for the info on not welding the spacer, makes it easier for me to complete in my own garage.

Back