• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Country Spring Replacements: Coils, Crown vs Moog...Leaf, Crown vs General Spring

fetishfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone.

I am looking to replace my 20 year old springs on my 1997 XJ Sport

Does anyone have thoughts on replacements for durability and ride?

Coils: Crown vs Moog
Leaf: Crown vs General Spring of KC

I have a Detour Tailbone mounted carrying a stock tire (which will be a 235 soon enough) so leaf spring longevity is a must.

Thanks

Have you measured the coils, they typically do not sag. If required buy Moog Coils. Crown HD leaf springs are one of the few Crown Automotive parts that have a good reputation. They are most likely a decent quality product from another manufacture that is re-branded as a Crown part.

Last edited:
Everything I've seen about carquest coils is they are made by moog.

As far as V8 ZJ, I could, but all the reading I've done on it gives different lift heights depending on the Jeep. I'd like to try, at least as much as possible, to stick to something somewhat predictable re: lift height. Moog 782 and Crown HD always seem to report 1-1.5" at the most.

Did I miss a multi page thread posted to by people who actually know what they are talking about that detailed why Moog coils suck ?

Did I miss a multi page thread posted to by people who actually know what they are talking about that detailed why Moog coils suck ?

Moog on the XJ and OME on the MJ.

I made the mistake of going cheap on the XJ, I knew better.

Moog sucks.

And I do not need your permission or multi-page consensus of group-think to allow me to state my opinion. And I do know what I'm talking about.

Again, their springs suck, their rod ends suck, TBs suck, bushings suck, everything about Moog sucks.

Moog sucks!

Well, your *opinion* seems well at odds with my experience and the experience of every professional, certified wrench I know.

Back