• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at 2 tires in about the same price range for on road/off road use on rocky 2 tracks in and around Wyoming/Idaho/Montana (Yellowstone area).

Kumho AT51 or Hankook Dynapro AT-M. Ran Cooper A/Tx for several years, but just wasn't terribly impressed over all. Ran the Hankook's on my last XJ and loved them, but always willing to upgrade for a good reason.

I need something that is good in snow and ice but doesn't suck the rest of the year. Have been reading some good reviews on other sites for the AT51's and the local tire store raves about their better grip on ice, they have a good mileage rating as well. And they are priced right.

Anyone with personal experience, I'd love to hear from you!

Also, local tire shop offers siping on new tires and the owner has been doing that for 40 years. Any benefit to siping on general purpose use tires?

Finally, any benefit to going from C to E load rating in durability?

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks. That's what the shop suggested as well.

I have used both general grabber at2's and bfg ko. I would use either of them again; they're both really good in ice and snow, at least from my experience. There are those that have posted not liking the KO's so I suppose their experiences were different than mine. I have read rave reviews about the bfg ko2.

Ive got the Kuhmo's on my wife's 05 durango. So far we like the ride of them and how quiet they are. Haven't had them in snow yet but they do great in wet weather.

I would have to give another nod to the BFG at's. Great all around tire.

Thanks!

Kuhmo AT51's are excellent mild A/T tires for their price. Great traction in Minnesota blizzards and thunderstorms. No experience off-road with AT51, BFG A/T's work well off-road, but I have cut several sidewalls on the BFG A/T's on sharp rocks. AT51 are about as good a BFG A/T's for pavement traction, they are quieter, and so far they holding up well for mileage. Based on price and performance, I would buy another set of AT51's before I bought another set of BFG A/T's. Load range E sucks on light trucks, and IMO siping works best for pavement only tires.

Last edited:
I've got the Hankook ATMs in the 235 flavor on my MJ. Been running them for about a year or so. I'm very happy with them in dirt and they do extremely well on rocky trails. They've been wheeled pretty hard for the vehicle they're on. They don't have that aggressive look to them but are heavily siped. They have also been good on what snow and ice I've encountered on and off the road. Street manners are better than BFG ATs that I've owned. I had to lock em up the other day on dry pavement and, well...I didn't hit the idiot.

I would put them on the truck again.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Another really good tire (although expensive) are the Kelly safari TSRs. they done great offroad. and never had any issues in winter with em. when I went to a bigger tire I sold em for $200 at 50% tread (4 years old) general grabber X3s are supposed to be good also

I did cut a sidewall open on one of my Hankook ATMs on a rock this weekend for what it's worth. It was a sneaky rock with big sharp teeth.
:doh:

I did cut a sidewall open on one of my Hankook ATMs on a rock this weekend for what it's worth. It was a sneaky rock with big sharp teeth.
:doh:

Maybe it got Peter's cell phone first, as an appetizer.

I guess I shouldn't be bummed that I missed this AAT run.

Yep. That's what siping is for.

Maybe it got Peter's cell phone first, as an appetizer.

I guess I shouldn't be bummed that I missed this AAT run.
Peter was running directly ahead of me.

Back on topic for the OP:

I'll post a pic of the sidewall once I pull it out from under the bed. It may allow for drawing your own conclusions on that aspect of the Hankook.

Seems like a take-away from this thread is that any AT tire, given that they are characteristically heavily siped, is a good ice/snow tire.

Compound is the other important component of the equation. But yes, sipping is a good thing.

Compound is the other important component of the equation. But yes, sipping is a good thing.

I've actually been shopping for tires for my Silverado. There is an article on the Tire Rack website that contends that an all-season tire is better than an all-terrain on packed snow, and the reasoning for that is that the compound on a typical all-season tire is softer/more pliable. My take is just buy an all-terrain and go a little slower on AT's in packed snow. Given that you could get an AT for about the same price as an AS, I see little benefit to an AS tire to any vehicle that spends any amount of time off the pavement or in deep snow.

Back