• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Lift - Safely Removing S10 Leaf Springs

simspace

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about safely removing S10 leaf springs at the junkyard, which I've never done before.

I'm hoping to do a junkyard lift on my '91 XJ. I received my Rusty's 3" HD coils for the front yesterday. And I was hoping to start the bastard pack today.

My son and I found 6 possible donors at the junkyard, but went home empty handed.

My first mistake was that I left the house with every tool under the sun except PB Blaster. :doh:

The problem was the U-bolt nuts. I was able to break them with a breaker bar. But my battery-run impact wrench just does not have the torque needed to finish the job.

I'm thinking I need to release the weight of the rear axle off the leaf springs? Maybe that will enable me to more easily turn the U-bolt nuts? If so, I'm just not sure how to do that safely at the junkyard.

If anyone has some ideas how I can safely removing S10 leaf springs at the junkyard, I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Last set I did I used a long breaker bar with an impact socket and just broke the u bolts.
You aren't going to re use them so no point in trying to save them and with a long enough her they pop off pretty easy

Last set I did I used a long breaker bar with an impact socket and just broke the u bolts.
You aren't going to re use them so no point in trying to save them and with a long enough her they pop off pretty easy

That's an awesome idea! Thank you.

Did you do the U-Bolts first, then the two frame mount bolts?

The main concern is to support the frame of the vehicle. IIRC, all S10s are SUA... so when you release the ubolts the vehicle is going to fal lon you if it's supported on the axle.

Been there, done that, after a 16 hour wrenching session while doing my S10's SAS. That was a good wakeup that I needed to cease and desist all further work till I'd had some shut-eye.

Back