PDA

View Full Version : CPS Opinion

steve1973
September 12th, 2017, 09:43
I recently refreshed a 98 XJ Sport that my twin girls to drive as their first car. 177K miles, 4.0L, Auto, 4WD, stock. The only time this will see 4WD is when it snows. My goals are safety and reliability. I have tried to do as much PM work as possible to avoid any breakdowns. All fluids, rear bearings, brakes, cleaned fuel injectors, new gaskets, various electrical sensors, plugs, wires, Bilstein shocks,etc. It runs and drives like a new car. The only thing i haven't pre-emptively replaced is the CPS. I have a new one sitting in a box from Standard Products as i haven't been able to find a genuine Mopar one.

My question is, with 177K on the odometer, should I replace the perfectly good CPS with a new one from Standard. I do not know the history of the one in their now, or what make, but i would assume it is original as most other parts i have replaced have been.

Thanks

old_man
September 12th, 2017, 10:04
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do put the spare under the back seat.

need-a-bow
September 12th, 2017, 10:28
Along with 2 to 3 feet of extensions and a wobble socket

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

blakews2217
September 12th, 2017, 11:08
All good advice. It's one of the bigger PITA that jeeps have when it comes to sensors. Have you done anything with a tuneup? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve1973
September 12th, 2017, 13:24
Thanks.

yes, Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, MAP, TPS, IAC, O2, Alternator so i have a starting baseline

need-a-bow
September 12th, 2017, 14:22
BTW, definitely go with Mopar on the CPS if you buy a spare

kcox506
September 13th, 2017, 08:29
BTW, definitely go with Mopar on the CPS if you buy a spare

x2 Ive had a lot of CPS playtime this year. Mopar is the only solution.